n i n e t e e n

Christmas came and went, New Year's taking center stage a few days later. In the whirlwind of days between, I'd taken the initiative toward setting up meetings for Malcolm to meet a few managers I had met while at events with Jeremiah. Not only that, but I also secured a few interviews for him to talk about what's coming up for this new year coming at us.

Even with the holiday season still in full swing, the work never truly stopped. A new year is pivotal in shaping Malcolm's career. With his momentum only just starting to rise, now's the time to truly clinch the public's attention.

Even with work taking my time, I was still forced to make time for the New Year's Eve kickback Adrienne and I always host. Usually, it's the girls and me, but this year Jeremiah's inviting his own company. It was a way for us to intermingle with his friend group for the first time and a way for us to connect better.

"Ricardo, mi amor!" Footsteps pounded down the stairs after Adrienne's call, Ricardo rounding the corner a few moments after. "Can you grab me the stool so I can finish putting the decorations up?"

The counter had been turned into a bar of sorts, bottles of liquor arranged, a banner with block lettering reading 'Cheers!' draped across the front. On the opposite wall was a backdrop, 'New Year's Eve' communicated across in near-perfect cursive lettering. Above the TV stand, balloons were arranged to write out the New Year, 2020.

"What more decorations could you need, Ri?"

"I want to hang some streamers from the ceiling." She turned around and picked up the golden streamers. Light danced around the room as the reflective surface flittered about. "The light could make for cute pictures."

"Ah, of course." I had forgotten that my best friend was somewhat of a brag on social media. "This is for the Instagram feed." I clicked my tongue with a small smile.

"Not entirely!" The light ceased to twinkle as Adrienne dropped her arms. "I want Jeremiah's friends to see that I can throw a good party." Her head dipped in my direction, a sculpted eyebrow pushing in my direction. "Isn't this the first time you're meeting his friends?"

"No matter what, this party is to impress someone else," I noted with finality. "Anyways, I don't need some nice party to impress Jeremiah's friends. If they like me, they do, and if they don't, they don't."

"I'll never understand how you can sit with that so easily." A sigh exited her body, her shoulders inching upwards into a shrug. "If y'all didn't like Ricardo when we first met, we would not be where we are now." She blew air through her lips, them smacking together. Her eyes grew a size as she shook her head.

"His friends' opinions on me are not in my control." I shrugged as I raised a hand, it bouncing with me as I spoke. "My job is to manage things that are out of my control; I need a break from that in my real life."

Ricardo returned with the stool, Adrienne's attention focusing on him for a moment. She used her finger to direct where he could place the stool for now. After throwing a thank you and a kiss over her shoulder, she responded, "You really take that "don't bring work home with you" thing seriously, Kiki."

I scoffed, my eyes rolling as the ghost of a smile brightened my face. "Work holds on to my ankles for dear life, whether I want it to or not. I have to shake it off so it doesn't drag me down." Adrienne dismissed me with a look before asking for my help with the streamers.

Over the next few hours, Adrienne began to fix snacks and mixed drinks. After making sure everything was prepared, she briefly stepped out to change into her outfit for tonight. When she emerged, she was clad in a pair of golden block heels, a sequined spaghetti strap dress to match. She resembled the streamers that now flittered down from the ceiling, light reflecting off her dress as it danced against her. Her makeup was light, a single wing of a shimmery golden eyeliner on each eye captivating attention.