t w e n t y - s e v e n

By the time Friday rolled around, I had prepared both Jeremiah's birthday celebration and myself for meeting his parents. Today was a triple threat—Jeremiah's birthday, Valentine's Day, and the first time I was meeting his parents. And, because of so much going on all at once, the whole day had to be perfect.

I fussed over myself in the mirror, my lips pursed to the side as my eyes darted over myself with uncertainty. The button-front trousers on my bottom half felt pointless. The asymmetrical bottom hemline of my red shirt hid the shiny golden buttons on my pants. I was even questioning the choice of a red top! Maybe it was too aggressive...

"This is ridiculous." I threw my arms down, the floppy collar tickling my neck. "I know how to dress myself." I stared myself down in the mirror, a sense of confidence trickling through me. "You planned the perfect date, and parents love you! You've been charming the pants off of adults since you could talk."

A chime from my phone pulled me from my pep talk. I crossed my room to my bed where my phone lay, but not before giving myself one last resolute nod. Once I read the text letting me know my ride was here, I snatched a beige trench coat from my closet and tied the belt snugly around my waist.

I grabbed the picnic basket I assembled before leaving my place. I turned my key in the lock before I turned to face the cool Seattle breeze. Water splayed out from the heel of my black suede boot as I hurried towards the four-door Mercedes Coupe idling at the curb for me.

"Ooh, hurry up and close that door," Sienna instructed as I pulled the car door open. I looked at her, my gaze unblinking before she continued, "I shoulda never said nothing."

I watched her palm meet her forehead as I took my time. One leg agonizingly followed the other into the passenger cabin, my descent into the seat happening in slow motion.

"Kiara! Close the door before I drive off with half of you in my car!"

"Geez, alright!" I dropped into the seat and shut the door.

"And be gentler next time. I didn't spend hours building the perfect vehicle for you to go around slamming the doors."

I buckled my seatbelt as I responded, "I was right there with you as you built her, so I feel like I should be able to slam as I please." My nose stuck in the air, the position of my head preventing me from seeing the fist that landed on my thigh. "Um, ow?"

"Giselle and I are doing you a favor by bringing you to Jere's. Don't make us drop you on the curb."

"You know I love you, Si." A smile stretched my lips, her eyes rolling at me in response. "But forreal, thank you for dropping me at Jeremiah's. I know you probably have plans with King."

"It's no issue," she shrugged. "Besides, the jet's not gonna be ready for another hour, so I've got the time."

"Oh, the jet?" I side-eyed Sienna, a suggestive smirk pulling my lips. "And where is the Jones jet taking you and King today?"

"Sienna Airlines," she pointedly corrected, "Is taking me to go see King. He's in Hawaii overseeing the casino that's being built, so I thought I'd pop by and see him right quick."

An exasperated sigh parted my lips as I threw my head back, the back of my hand finding my forehead. "I'm Sienna, and I have a private jet to go and take me to Hawaii so I can 'pop in' on my boyfriend." My shoulders shook with laughter, and I noticed Sienna fighting back a smile.

"First of all, I said pop by." I could hear the smile fighting to break through in her voice. "And when did I make it sound like that was an inconvenience? I love Hawaii!"

"Does that have anything to do with our trip to Hawaii sophomore year of high school?" Sienna's eyes didn't pull from the road in front of her, but the tiny tick in her jaw told me everything I needed to know. "Thought so."