t h i r t y - e i g h t

I peeled my eyes open the next morning, my eyes bleary with sleep. I lifted my head and looked around, my half-opened eyes widening as I stared at a familiar curtain. My sleep riddled legs noticed the weight pressing down on them as I pushed myself up. I sighed to myself as I dropped my forehead against Jeremiah's chest.

"Yeah, I definitely did this last night," I muttered, now completely sober.

I focused all my energy on working my way out of Jeremiah's grasp before I opened up a drawer and grabbed some clothes. I was not putting that gown back on, and these aren't the first clothes I've stolen from him. And I hope he doesn't mind me leaving the dress here, because I'm not carrying that around.

I called a Lyft as I found my shoes and a random bag to shove my things into. I tiptoed out of the room and made my way downstairs and outside as quietly as I could. Dealing with the consequences of my actions comes later.

On the ride to my place, I debated on who to call. On one hand, I could call Sienna, but then I'd have to explain the whole situation and hear her get in my ass about it. But then, I could call Michael. He already knew exactly what was going on.

My brother was at my place not even an hour later. "What was so important that I had to come over at seven in the morning?"

I let him inside as he handed a drink to me. "Is this coffee?"

"Yeah, I was not 'bout to sit here and listen to you talk without coffee first." Michael shook his head at me as he said, "Since when do you wake up this early? Damn, Tiara!"

"Did you get my order right?" I said as I opened the top. I fixed him with a skeptical glare.

"We have the same coffee order, or did you forget cause you're like that?"

I flicked him. "I know you're not tryna call me dumb. And I didn't tell you to come over to talk about coffee."

"Yeah, why am I here? I have a date with a toddler and Puppy Dog Pals at nine-thirty."

"Simone has you wrapped around her little finger," I said with a smile. "But to make it quick, I had sex with Jeremiah last night."

"Oh, that's what's up," Michael said with the nod of his head.

I looked at him as I squinted my eyes. "...What?"

"So y'all good now, right?" He took a sip of his coffee.

"No, nowhere near it," I said as I pursed my lips to the side and shook my head. "Do you not remember what I told you yesterday? I knew you weren't the brightest, but..."

"I'm smarter than you. I didn't just sleep with the dude who I'm still mad at," he said pointedly, his finger in my face.

"Get your finger outta my face," I said as I slapped it away. "So you get it?"

"Your reaction told me all that I needed to know. You slept with dude because you were drunk and then you woke up as the Tiara we all know."

"And what Kiara would that be?" I raised a brow as I sipped my coffee.

"The stubborn one."

"I am not stubborn"

"And the type of stubborn you are is just different."

"Yo, I'm not—"

"And when someone tries to tell you something different from what you know, you refuse to hear it," he continued.

I blew air through my nose before I said, "You can keep talking, but I'm—"

"—Done with this conversation," Michael said as we finished in sync.