f o u r

After work on Tuesday, I took a trip to go visit my parents. When I first considered the idea of moving out of my parents' home and getting my own place, I wanted to be at least twenty minutes away, proving to myself that I was able to live on my own without them. How it worked out, however, was that I moved a three-minute drive away from them.

The sixteen-minute walk was refreshing in the warm August air. I entered the passcode to the gate and stepped onto the property, the ginormous house staring down at me. One thing I miss about living in this house was just how giant it is. There's so much space to roam and so many things to do, whereas my condo only has a laptop and a TV.

"Anyone home?" I called out into the foyer, my voice echoing throughout the space. No answer was returned, leaving me to explore all twelve thousand plus square feet in search of my family.

I went to the pool first, disappointed to find the sparkling blue water instead of my family. I checked the movie theater next. My teenage brothers were usually always playing some stupid PlayStation game and getting mad at whoever wins. I neared the movie theater, not hearing any loud screeching, and pivoted on my heel. If Jevon wasn't yelling about how somebody was cheating, there was nobody in there.

I checked the millions of other rooms in the house, none of my family members residing in any of them. Finally, I checked the basketball court, where of course, the whole family was hanging out. My mom was sitting in one of the lawn chairs on the sidelines, cheering on my dad and two of my little brothers, my other three siblings on the opposing team.

"Hey, Mama." I placed my hands on her shoulders from behind and kissed her cheek. She jumped slightly, earning a small laugh from me. I took the seat next to her and watched the game, cheering on the team composed of solely my brothers.

"Kiara, you almost gave me a heart attack." Her hand was resting on her chest as she shook her head.

"Sorry," I apologized.

"What brings you 'round?" she asked, her attention no longer focused on the basketball game in front of us. "You haven't been home in forever. I missed you, baby."

"I missed you too, Mama," I reciprocated. "I just came to visit the fam, maybe get a home-cooked meal for the first time in forever," I explained. "Work's been kicking my ass. I haven't had a minute to cook for myself or to come over. So, now that I've got a break..." I trailed, gesturing to my family in front of me.

"I'm glad you're here." She wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to her, her hand affectionately rubbing up and down my arm. "Maybe you should take a step back from that job, though," she suggested.

"I can't do that." I shook my head and sighed. Every chance she got, Mama always tried to get me to take a break from work. She thought I was working too hard. "I've been there for a year already, and I still ain't bagged that promotion. I gotta show I work hard and maybe I'll finally get my first client."

"As soon as you get your first client, you should take a break."

"And show that once I get what I want I get all lazy?" I raised a brow, letting her know that that was definitely not an option. Breaks were not in the picture, not in this profession.

Mama and I talked while simultaneously cheering on our separate teams. At one point, my eldest brother, Michael, accidentally swiped the orange ball towards my face, my hands the only thing keeping it from breaking my nose.

"Watch it next time," I told him as I chucked the ball into his arms. He faked throwing it at my face, causing me to flinch. Mama scolded him in the process. "Ooh, you little brat!" I yelled as I kicked my leg at him, him laughing as he jogged back to the court.