f o r t y - t w o

Sienna pulled open the door to King's penthouse apartment, her expression falling as soon as she laid eyes on me. "Sweats and heels are never good, Ara."

I fixed her with a dejected look as I shook my head and walked into the apartment. I took in the high ceilings and open space, even though the place was fully decorated with red furnishings with white accents. I don't know what I was expecting, but the sense of unfamiliarity was not helping right now.

"You want some water?" Sienna asked as she made her way to the kitchen. "You want a drink?"

"I have no business being drunk right now," I said with a short laugh. I followed Sienna into the kitchen before settling against the island. "It'd get real sad in here." I dropped my head and a sad smile pulled at my lips.

"Yeah, so what happened?" Sienna asked after she fixed my glass of water and handed it to me. "I was serious about sweats and heels never being a good combo."

I nodded. "Oh, I know."

"Plus, I know you'd never be caught dead in that," Sienna mentioned with a small laugh. "But forreal, what happened?"

I opened my mouth to respond, my lips snapping shut when I heard footsteps thudding down the hall.

"He always stomps so loud," Sienna said to me before she raised her voice. "Love, you stay thundering around like that!"

King's footsteps fell noticeably quieter before he called back, "Sorry, bae." He wandered into the kitchen and stopped in the doorway when he saw me. "Kiara Suns."

Usually, when King says my full name, his voice is at full volume and dripping with excitement. And, most of the time, his arms are outstretched and ready for a hug. This time, however, his chin rested on his fist as he fixed me with a curious look.

King's finger fell on me as he said, "It's the middle of the night, and I know for a fact J would never let you be out this late at night on these streets. Y'all good?"

"I really don't wanna talk bad about your best friend to you, so I'm gonna leave it at nah."

The one downside of fleeing from Jeremiah's hotel to King's place? I couldn't properly talk my shit with Sienna. I didn't need tidbits of our conversation to be overheard by King, especially when I know he's gonna turn around and tell Jeremiah what he heard. I definitely couldn't answer his question without letting at least some of that anger creep back in.

King was taken slightly aback at my answer, his eyes finding Sienna's next to me. I could tell he didn't want to overstep his bounds as my best friend's boyfriend/my boyfriend's best friend and didn't know what to say next.

"Why don't you go check in with Jeremiah?" Sienna suggested. She crossed over to him and grabbed his hand. "It'll give you some clarity, and us some time to talk about it in private."

King nodded at Sienna's idea. "Yeah, I got y'all. Let me just go change right quick and I'll be out."

It took King longer than expected to leave, but once he did, I called up Heaven and placed her on the table in front of Sienna and I. She'd been texting me bothering me for updates as soon as she learned we'd landed in Baltimore. I would have never heard the end of it if I didn't keep her in the loop.

Heaven and Sienna listened attentively as I recounted the events of the last couple of hours. They were quiet mostly, but Heaven wouldn't be Heaven without giving her wildly unhelpful input. Sienna and I would just look at each other and roll our eyes as she rattled on.

"So, what does that mean for y'all? Did you break up?" Sienna asked once I finished.

I shook my head. "Nah, we're still together."