twenty

It's been exactly a week since I started training with Hotch. We've been going to the shooting range every day, and we ran together the other night.

Today, May 25th, is my firearms qualification test. I'm currently sitting in the range locker room next to Hotch, waiting for the proctor to call my name.

"You ready?" He leaned over and nudged my shoulder with his.

"I think so." I nodded, trying to convince myself.

Over the past week, I have gotten much better at shooting. I just don't want my nerves to get the best of me.

"Agent Carter?" The supervisor walked in and called my name.

"It'll be okay. I'm sure you'll do great." Hotch whispered in my ear and put his hand on my lower back.

I turned to him and smiled before standing to go take my test.

--

"Congratulations, Ms. Carter. You passed!" The examiner told me as I fired my last bullet. I hit the target every time.

"Thank you, Sir!" I exclaimed with a huge smile on my face.

"You can get your gun from headquarters whenever. Just show them this." He handed me a certificate that approved me to carry a gun in the field.

I nodded and headed back to the locker room where Hotch was waiting for me. I opened the door to see him sitting in the same spot I left him in, on his phone.

When he heard the door open, he immediately turned around to face me.

"Well, how'd it go?" He stood and walked towards me.

"I passed!" I grinned and held up the certificate for him to see.

"That's amazing, Carter!" He said as he engulfed me into his arms.

Is Aaron Hotchner hugging me right now?

I stood in shock as his strong arms wrapped around my body before eventually hugging him back.

When we pulled apart, we were both clearly flustered. He had a slight smirk on his lips, and my face was a deep shade of red.

After what felt like minutes of us standing in silence, his phone began to ring. He quickly answered it,

"Agent Hotchner. Yeah, we'll be there in a sec."

I looked at him and he nodded. We had a case.

He ended the call and put his phone back in his pocket.

"Let's go get you a gun." He said as he turned to exit. Before he could, his finger tips gently brushed against my knuckles, causing butterflies to form in my stomach.

That is the third time he has done that.

He continued walking, but I just stood there.

"Are you coming?" He asked without turning around.

"Why do you keep doing that?" I blurted, almost instantly regretting it.

He stopped in his tracks and chuckled before slowly turning around to face me.

Our eyes locked from the far distance, and I could feel myself growing nervous.

He cocked his head to the right, raised a brow, and smirked.

"Doing what?" He said quietly in his deep voice. He was trying to sound flirtatious, and it was working.

He definitely knew what I was talking about.