forty three

It's been a week since I saw Adam. I hadn't gone into work all week. The team was called in on a case for a majority of the week, so I wasn't really needed. Some days I just wanted to stay in bed all day and cry; others I wanted to personally kill Adam myself. Aaron was extremely concerned, but he pushed his confusion aside and just did his best to help me through it.

Today I had my doctors appointment. I tried my best to continuously push off the appointment, but Aaron thought it was important to know when I could return to the field. However, due to my recent behavior in the past week, he was tempted to force me to do a psych evaluation. As my boyfriend, he didn't want to make me take the test, but as my boss he thought it was extremely necessary.

"Want me to come with you?" Aaron asked, pulling me from my thoughts as we sat at the table eating breakfast.

"No!" I shouted a little too quickly.

"Are you sure? I don't mind taking off for you."

"No, no, you go to work, I'll pick up Jack after."

He sighed as he stood and grabbed our plates to put in the dishwater, "Okay fine, but call me and fill me in as soon as you are done."

I nodded before standing to go upstairs, "Of course. I'm gonna go get ready."

He smiled, "I'll see you later, love you."

I smiled back, "Love you more."

I ran up the stairs and slipped out of my pajamas. I hoped in the shower and quickly washed my hair and body. I shaved everything before stepping out and wrapping myself in a large towel.

I put on a pair of underwear, a bra, black leggings, and a light pink sweater before finishing getting ready. I didn't bother putting any makeup on, deciding on a bare face for the day.

I grabbed my purse and keys before heading out the door. I locked it and jumped in my small blue car before driving off to my appointment in silence. I was extremely nervous, but a small part of me was somewhat excited.

--

As I walked out of the doctors office, my phone began to ring. I fumbled around my purse until I found my phone and quickly swiped the screen to answer.

"Carter," I spoke without checking the ID and getting into my car.

"Hey honey, are you still at the doctors?" Aaron asked.

"I literally just got into my car. I was about to call you."

"What'd they say? Can you come back?" He asked excitedly, he sounded like a toddler.

"Yes, Aaron, I'm cleared to come back."

"Good, because we have a case."

I was about to respond, but was cut off when he attempted to cover the microphone and shout, "She's cleared!" I let out a laugh as I heard a few cheers coming from the other line.

"What about Jack?" I asked.

"I'll call Jessica, she's gonna have watch him a little longer."

I nodded even though he couldn't see me, "Alright, I'll see you soon."

"Love you, bye," he hung up the phone and I started my car. As I started to drive to headquarters, I began to grow nervous.

What if I'm not ready to go back?

What if something happens again?

And most importantly,

How am I going to tell Aaron?