four

7:30pm. I had officially been here for fourteen hours. I was mentally exhausted as I finished organizing my last folder of the day.

I picked up the heavy pile of folders and began to walk towards Margret's desk. I slammed them in front of her and she jolted up.

"There you go!" I said sarcastically.

"Hey, don't take your anger out on me!" She laughed.

"See you on Monday!" I yelled as I walked away. I had to give Margret props, I was complaining about being here this long for one day, when she does it every single day. I could never.

I grabbed my things off of my desk and headed towards the elevator. All the other detectives had been coming and going all day, but they finally cleared out about an hour ago.

I took the elevator down to the lobby and exited the building. I was confronted by the chilly April air. It wasn't too cold, but cold enough for me to regret not bringing a jacket.

The sun was just about to set; the sky was a mixture of pinks and purples. It was beautiful, almost calming. I was just so excited to go home and relax with Gunner.

I threw my bag in the back seat and started my car. I was about to pull out of my spot when my phone started to ring.

"Shit!" I looked around frantically for my phone. I reached over my seat, grabbed my bag, and went digging for my phone.

"Hello?" I answered quickly, not even reading the caller I.D.

"Devyn, I need you to meet me at St. Sebastian Hospital as soon as possible." It was Anderson.

"Is everything okay?" He sounded like he had been crying.

"Yes..... uh no..... I don't know. Just please come soon." He was stammering his words.

"I'll be right there." I hung up and drove off. The hospital wasn't far, only about ten minutes.

I was extremely worried. Was he hurt? Did this have something to do with that case? I wasn't tired anymore. My adrenaline was pumping, and I was driving way faster than I should have been.

When I arrived, I parked the car and ran to the entrance. I tried calling Anderson again to see where he was, but he didn't answer.

"Hi, I'm Agent Carter with the FBI. Could you please-" I went to ask the front desk lady, but she cut me off.

"Right this way." She got up and motioned me to follow her.

I was beyond confused at this point.

After taking the elevator up four floors and walking around what felt like the entire hospital, she led me to a waiting room with people scattered all around it. They all looked worried. I assumed I was in the surgery wing, and these people were waiting to hear about their friends and family. It was all too familiar, I knew exactly how they felt.

"Agent Anderson?" The lady said then left. I saw him stand from his chair to turn around and face me at the door.

"Grant! What's going on?" I ran over to him, noticing he was crying. "Are you hurt? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Carter." He reassured me and I sighed in relief.

"But I messed up bad." He choked.

"What do you mean? What happened?"

He explained to me everything that had occurred today.

He was originally called in to drive Agent Elle Greenaway home. All the BAU agents were supposed to have two weeks vacation, until they all received some sort of 'gift'. Elle's happened to be getting arrested in Jamaica. The team flew down to prove her innocence, then flew back to headquarters to figure out who was behind this. After hours of piecing together their gifts and clues, Elle had fallen asleep on the small couch in the briefing room. This is when Anderson was called. He dropped Agent Greenaway off at home, then returned to work. Instead of coming straight back to help me, he wanted to report back and ask if they needed anymore help.

Flashback: Anderson's pov

"Agent Hotchner!" I called the busy man to get his attention, "Is there anything else I can do?"  I was hoping he'd ask me to assist with the profile.

"Anderson? Where's Agent Greenaway?" He asked.

"Sir?" I was confused, I had followed his specific orders to drive her home.

"I told you to take her home."

"I dropped her off half an hour ago." I stated.

"Take her home does not mean drop her off." He started walking closer  towards me. "We're dealing with an unsub who has all our personal information, including our home addresses. Get back over there now."

"But-" I started to speak, but he cut me off.

"Now." He said sternly.

Present day: Devyn's pov

"I drove straight to Elle's house, just to find out I was too late. The unsub had broken in and shot her." He was struggling to finish explaining. I could tell he felt extremely guilty for leaving her alone.

"Is she okay?" I asked and I tried to calm him down.

"I hope, she's in surgery now."

"Good. You got there just in time." I was trying to be positive, but I was scared. Although I didn't know Elle, I obviously didn't want her to die.

All of the sudden, a familiar group entered the waiting room.

"FBI, one of my agents was just brought in." He rushed in and walked up to the doctor in the room.

"Agent Hotchner, I am sorry." Anderson stepped forward to speak with him.

I backed away but continued to listen.

"Where is she?" The man I presume to be Agent Hotchner asked. I had seen him multiple times around headquarters, but never this close. I had never actually noticed him before.

"I got there just as the ambulance was leaving. They took her up to surgery about an hour ago." Anderson explained the same thing he had just told me.

"Then she's alive." Another agent spoke.

"What do we know?" Agent Hotchner asked.

"The local P.D. said someone forced her back door open and surprised her in the living room. They were probably laying in wait for her. After she was..." He hesitated. "It appears she dialed 911 herself before she passed out."

"Why weren't we notified earlier?" The other agent spoke again.

"The offender apparently took her I.D. and gun. The uniform I talked to didn't even know she was in the bureau until I arrived on scene." Anderson finished explaining.

I wasn't aware of this information yet, he was explaining it to me as well as the rest of the agents.

"Get back over there. This is a federal crime scene. Nobody touches anything. We process it. Go."

Anderson looked back at me and shook his head,

"Yes, sir."

I was worried for Anderson. He messed up big time. If Elle doesn't make it out of this, it would be Grant's fault.

He could lose his job.