thirty three

I shook my head to rid of the awful memory. I took a deep breath before opening the door to my mom's hospital room.

"Hi there! You must be Devyn!" The doctor spoke as she reached out to shake my head.

"Dr. Wolfe?" I asked as I took her hand.

She nodded and turned her direction to the bed in front of us, "She's in a medically induced coma. Her final surgery is tomorrow. I'll let you be."

"Thank you." I smiled as she exited the room.

I sat down in the chair next to my mom. She had oxygen tubes under her nose and down her throat. There were multiple wires attached to her lifeless body and different machinery surrounding her bed.

I bit my lip as I took her hand into mine.

"Hey, mom."I chuckled nervously, "It's me, you know, your daughter, Devyn? Hopefully you haven't forgotten me by now. I know we haven't been on the best terms, but I've really missed you. I need you, mom." I let out a light sob as I spoke, not even knowing if she could hear me.

"Uh, I got a new job. Not that you even knew about my previous one, but I work with the FBI. I'm a profiler with the behavioral analysis unit. It's crazy, really. We travel to a new state every week. I think I've been to twenty three already, and it's only been a few months."

I sighed, "I've made a lot of new friends too, my coworkers are my best friends. There's Emily, JJ, Penelope, Spence, Hayden, Derek-" I hesitated before speaking the next name.

"I have a boyfriend now, his name's Aaron. I'm not really sure if you'd approve, but I really like him, mom. I'd love for you to meet him some day. Oh, I also have a dog. You could probably guess what I named him."

My dad's middle name was Gunner. Growing up I always thought I'd name one of my kids that, but as I got older and life became more hectic, I thought I would never have kids, hence why I got Gunner.

I sighed, "I really miss you mom."

--

"Mrs. Carter?"

"Huh?" I opened my eyes to look at my surroundings. I was still in the hospital.

"Your mother's out of surgery. She's up in ICU if you'd like to see her." Dr. Wolfe told me.

"Is she awake?"

She smiled, "Yes."

I stood up and followed her out of the hospital room and to the new location my mom was in.

As she opened the door I saw my mother sitting up, getting fed by an older gentlemen.

"Devyn?" She croaked.

"Hey, mom."

She clasped her hands into a praying position and placed them over her mount, underneath her nose. "Oh my- look at you! You're all grown up."

I pursed my lips, not knowing what to say.

"What- what are you doing here?"

"I called her, Angie. I think it'd be best for you." Dr. Wolfe stepped in.

"Can you give us a sec?" I asked. Dr. Wolfe nodded and exited the room.

"Mom, I-"

She cut me off by shaking her hand, "No. Let me speak."

"First of all, I'd like to introduce you to Ryan Murphey." The man standing next to her reached out his hand, but I didn't take it. I awkwardly waved at the man.