twelve

I was awoken by the sound of keys rattling from beyond my bedroom door.

What was that?

I jolted out of bed and put a pair of black sweatpants on.

I slowly opened my bedroom door to get a good look of my kitchen to see a figure standing over the kitchen sink.

"Jesus, Tabitha! You scared the shit out of me!" I laughed as I now fully opened my bedroom door walking over to the kitchen.

"Devyn? What are you doing here? It's 12:00, I was coming to take Gunner out but noticed his water bowl was empty." She said as she placed the bowl on his mat.

"Oh my god. It's 12:00? I must have slept in!" I screamed as I rushed back to my room to quickly get ready.

I threw on a maroon sweater and black leggings with my work boots. I then quickly brushed my teeth and put my hair in a side braid.

"Thanks, Tabitha!" I exclaimed as I grabbed my bag and walked out the door.

I sprinted down the hall and decided to take the stairs to be quicker. I ran out the building to my blue car, hopped in, and sped off to work.

--

When I arrived, I quickly hurried to the elevator and hit floor three. I rushed out as soon as the doors opened and started walking to my desk before I was stopped.

"And where have you been, Missy." Margret scoffed.

"Oops?" I slowly turned to face her sitting at her desk.

"I'm kidding, Carter, I know you had a long day yesterday. It's all good." She said as she went back to the computer in front of her.

I sighed and continued walking across the floor to my desk, where Hayden was sitting. I'm surprised, he was actually working.

"There you are!" He exclaimed as I set my bag on my desk and sat down. "I was starting to get worried! You disappeared in a rush yesterday and never came back. Then this morning your things were gone and you never came in."

I laughed, I guess it was sweet of him to worry about me.

"I'm fine, I promise, I just got caught up in some work things. I didn't get home till 3:00 this morning, and I accidentally overslept."

"Well, I'm glad your okay. Sooo, tell me about the case!"

I was confused, how did he know about the case?

"What do you mean?" I furrowed my brows. I'm not sure if I should be sharing what I was doing with the unit upstairs.

"Don't be silly, Spencer told me everything. He also said you did a really good job, they were all very impressed."

My cheeks turned bright red as I started blushing, hard.

"He really said that?"

"Yeah, he told me over coffee this morning."

I couldn't help but smile at the compliment from the Spencer Reid.

"Anyways, if you aren't going to spill the beans, I'm gonna go take my lunch break. Be right back!" Wilson said as he stood from his seat and headed for the break room.

I too was hungry, I didn't have time to eat breakfast or pack myself a lunch; and I just got here, I should probably start working. I didn't want to leave all the paperwork for him to do, I knew how much work that could be and I didn't want to do that to him.

This thought reminded me of Anderson. I did miss him, and I still felt guilty about the whole situation.

I pulled out my phone to check the text I had sent him a week ago. Maybe I missed his response?

Read 5/4/20

Wow, he didn't even bother to reply. I was just checking in on him, I wanted to make sure he was okay.

I rolled my eyes and put my phone beside me, as I grabbed the manila folder on top of the stack, and began working.

--

I've been here for about five hours now, and it was time to head home. I was extremely hungry. All I had today was a granola bar from the vending machine in the break room.

Hayden was oddly quiet today, but it was good; we both caught up on our work from the past few days.

I collected my things and threw them into my bag as I put the strap around my shoulder. I walked to the elevator with Wilson and we both headed down to the main level.

"I'm parked around back, see you Monday?"

"See you then!" I smiled. He turned to exit through the back door, and I left through the main doors.

I noticed the black SUVs were all parked right in front, meaning the BAU didn't have a case today.

I contemplated going up to give a proper thanks for yesterday, but I decided not to. They would probably think that's weird.

I walked to my car, started it, and turned up the radio.

High Enough by K. Flay was playing. I sang along as I started my drive.

--

I decided to stop at Chipotle to pick up some dinner.

I ordered a burrito bowl with brown rice, chicken, lettuce, corn, guacamole, and salsa. It was my favorite. I grabbed my the paper bag with my food and walked back to my car to drive home.

--

Once home, I quickly took Gunner out, fed him, then began to eat my dinner.

I turned the TV on for some background noise. The news channel started playing and I decided to leave it on. They were talking about the serial killer the FBI had caught just yesterday.

I smiled to myself, I helped do that.

I was about to take a bite of my food, when I saw Gunner sitting underneath my feet. I could tell he was still hungry.

"You want some?" I asked him.

He got up on his hind legs and started dancing. I laughed as I took piece of chicken out from my bowl.

I cut it into two pieces and fed it to him, he quickly took it from my hand.

"That's all you get, Mister. Go lay down." I laughed as he scurried to hop on the couch.

When I finished eating, I turned the TV off and headed for the bathroom.

I took my hair out of the braid and noticed it was very wavy. I got in the shower and watched as the waves straightened by the touch of the water. I washed my hair along with my body, then shaved my legs.

Once I was done, I stepped out and dried myself off, throwing my hair in another towel.

As I opened the bathroom door, I saw Gunner followed me in and was now sleeping on my bed.

I put on a pair of underwear and a plain black sweatshirt, took my hair out of the towel, then joined Gunner for the night.

A/N: I lied. I might post a new chapter every day, I really don't know yet lmao. Lmk what you think!

Thank you so much for 600 reads😘
Keep voting and commenting 🥰