forty

It's been a little over a month since the whole situation occurred. I hate to admit it, but this has been one of the best months of my life. As much as I miss work, it felt amazing to not stress over random serial killers and to just spend time with friends and family.

When the team wasn't on cases, I practically spent every moment with each member. Penelope invited us girls to multiple 'ladies nights'; Hayden, Spencer, and I returned to our annual Friday coffee dates; and Derek made sure I was still in shape for when I could go back to the field.

When they were on cases, I spent all of my time with Jack. We quickly bonded over childish things like comics and his love for the Marvel movies like Iron Man and Spider Man.

My mom and Ryan moved into my apartment, causing me to move out two weeks ago. Lots of tears were shed between Tabitha and I, but I promised my friend we would keep in touch.

It took a lot of adjusting, but over the past two weeks, I've finally moved into Aaron's home. Aaron, Ryan, and even Jack helped tremendously with unpacking all of my belongings. Jack was obsessed with having Gunner around, saying he'd always wanted a dog.

Today was my first day back to work. It kinda stung having to return, giving up all my free time, but overall I'm extremely happen to be back, even if it's just desk work for the time being.

Aaron and I rode up the elevator, hand in hand, "You happy to be back?" He asked.

I looked up to him and smiled, "Happier than ever."

The doors opened to the floor of the BAU, and we both stepped out. He kissed my cheek and made his way up the small flight of stairs to his office, and I began crossing the floor to my desk.

"Welcome back, sweet cheeks!" Morgan exclaimed as he stood from his desk and hugged me.

I giggled as he walked me to my desk, "Oh, how I've missed this!" I plopped down into my seat and spun in a circle.

Spencer looked up from the book he was reading, "Finally, I have someone to talk to again!"

"What am I, chopped liver?" Derek joked.

Before Spencer had the chance to respond, Penelope came from her lair, her bright pink high heels clanking across the floor, "Oh my god, you're back! I've- we've missed you!" She kissed my cheek both of my cheeks.

"Pen, I saw you three days ago!" I teased.

"I know, I know, but it hasn't been the same since you've been gone, and now I get to have you for....." She paused and looked up in thought.

"When can you come back to the field?" Spencer chimed in, reading Garcia's mind.

"As of right now, two or three weeks, but I have to get re-evaluated by my doctors and approved by Strauss first."

"Score! I get you for two to three weeks, you're my bitch now," Penelope grinned from ear to ear.

I rolled my eyes and laughed along with my team when JJ stepped out of her office, "We've got a local- Devyn! You're here!"

I smiled and waved to the blonde above me, "Did no one know I was coming back today?" I joked before Hotch exited his office,

"Conference room in five."

The four of us sighed, "Well, welcome back, Carter," Morgan patted my shoulder before heading back to his desk.

We all grabbed our tablets and files before heading to the conference room where JJ, Hotch, and Rossi were already waiting.

"Welcome back, kiddo!" Rossi smiled from his seat.

Everyone sat around the table, besides JJ who stood in front of the TV.