twenty four

"What could he possibly want?" I asked myself aloud.

"Just answer it." JJ told me.

"Hello?"

"Devyn Carter! Long time no talk, huh?" He slurred from the other line.

"Grant? Are you drunk?" I asked him.

"Pshhhh, nah."

"Where are you, I'll come pick you up." I said as I quickly collected my things.

"To be honest, I have no idea where I am." He laughed.

"Grant, this isn't funny. Where are you?" I repeated myself, more sternly this time.

"We'll come with you. I can track him." Garcia whispered.

I covered the microphone on my phone, "Are you sure? I really don't mind."

"We're coming." Emily stated.

"Fine." I then lifted the phone back to my ear. "Just stay where you are, please. We're on our way." With that, I ended the call and the four of us rushed out of Penelope's house.

JJ and I drove in her Minivan and Emily drove her and Penelope.

"I'm really sorry to ruin ladies night." I said sheepishly.

"Don't worry about it, he's your friend. Plus, it gives us something to do." JJ reassured me.

I nodded, still feeling bad about the whole situation. Then, Garcia called my phone, and I put her on speaker.

"Please tell me you found him?"

"I got him! He's at Locust Shade Park." Garcia stated.

"He's at Locust?" I whispered.

"Does that mean something to you?" JJ asked.

"Yeah, we used to go there together all the time."

Why was he drinking at the park- alone?

--

The rest of the drive was silent, all of us worried about Grant. The whole time I felt like I had a pit in my stomach.

When we arrived at the park, we flashed the guard our badges so we didn't have to pay for parking.

"He could be anywhere." JJ said as she parked the car.

"I know where he is. Just follow me." I said as we all started walking the small trail that led to a soccer field.

"I would have worn different shoes if I knew we'd be hiking." Garcia laughed.

"It's right up this hill."

After we climbed the mini hill, we saw Anderson laying in the middle of the field with a bottle of whiskey in his hand.

"You guys should stay here. I'll go get him." I said as I started walking towards the middle of the field.

"Grant." I shouted. He quickly jumped up so he was standing. He wore dark jeans and a dirty white t-shirt. His hair was a mess; he looked like a wreck.

"You remember this place?" He asked me, extending his arms and spinning in a circle.

"How could I forget?" I laughed nervously.

"We haven't been here in a long time."

"How come you never called me back? Or responded to any of my texts?" I asked, trying to change the conversation.

He glanced my way for the first time, his eyes held heavy bags underneath them. He looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"Do you remember the first time I took you here?" He asked, ignoring my question.