2| the book thief

IT WAS TEN IN THE MORNING AND ROSEMARY WAS HOVERING OVER THE SCHOOLS TOILET SEAT, puking every meal she had the day before all while her best friend pushed her hair back. They were, more likely than not, going to be late to class, which would've conflicted with Rosemary's obsession with perfect attendance."I am never drinking again."

"I've heard that before." Kayla sighed, handing the girl mouthwash. "Jake isn't worth this."

"I know he's not."

"Do you?"

"Of course." Rosie moved to the sink, filling her mouth with the mouthwash and spitting it out. She stared at Kayla through the mirror. "I think. I don't know. I don't even like him, you know that, right? But he's so..." She patted the tissue on her face. "Addictive."

"Well, you know what they say." Kayla clutched onto her books as she walked out of the bathroom and into the school hallways. "The worst drug to crave is love from unloving people."

"I don't know— crystal meth's pretty bad."

They stopped at their new lockers, putting in their textbooks. "What did your sister say about last night?"

"Haven't talked to her yet, but we're planning on meeting after school at Luke's like usual. I'd ask you to come, but you keep giving Luke heart eyes every time you're there and it's getting a little creepy." She shook it off, clearing her throat. "My parents called today. They want me to go golfing with a rich heir, like a date."

She leaned her arm against the lockers. "God, what did you say?"

"I told her you'd catch me dead before you catch me on a date with a Huntzberger." Rosie clutched the notebook tighter to her chest. "Hey, have you seen that guy from last nights party? I still have his jacket, and I should probably give it back."

Kayla shook her head no. "Maybe he lied about going here."

"I doubt that."

"Then maybe he's coming to the party on Friday." She shrugged. "You'll see him then."

Except, Rosie didn't take him for the sort of guy to revisit the same party twice. And she knew he had only been there the day before under circumstances. But reminiscing on the conversation she had with him yesterday, she thought maybe it was best if she never saw him again, hating the compelling factor on him that makes her feel like she could tell him anything. Thinking about it now, she knew never seeing him again was for the best.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Rosemary didn't come back home until sunset, and even then she only planned on staying for a while. She planned with Kayla to meet up about three hours later, so they'd take their daily stroll around Stars Hollow. "Sorry i'm late, I was with Kayla and I got a little sidetracked."

"Where were you last night?"

Rosie cocked her head up towards her sister, at a loss for words. "We went to that party and I slept at Kayla's afterwards, why?" It was the truth, although leaving out the part where she got drunk was a little harder to hide.

"Rory told me what happened." She said, and Rosie instantly began to think of excuses in her head in preparation for the lecture she was about to get. "Why didn't you tell me Jake broke up with you?"

Oh. "Must've slipped my mind."

"We could've celebrated!" Lorelai exclaimed. "Come on, you know I hated him— he hated the Go-Go's so I hated him by default."