32|happy birthday to you

HALFWAY THROUGH SEPTEMBER, Rosemary celebrated her birthday early in the morning at Hartford and the rest of the day in Stars Hollow.

As much as Rosemary disliked her birthday because it was also the anniversary of her birth-mother's death, this year didn't seem so bad so far. Her parents refrained from hosting an over-the-top party they'd exclusively invite their circle of friends to instead of hers. Lorelai and Rory agreed not to do anything too big, only simple inexpensive gifts and a movie night to celebrate.

"Open it!" Kayle said eagerly.

     Rosie ripped through the wrapping paper and smiled. "Aw, you got me a butterfly pen!"

     "You got her a butterfly pen?"

    "She set a five dollar limit, what else was I supposed to get her?"

      Lorelai perked up. "On that topic, Rory and I kind of teamed up to get you a gift, so technically our joint budget would be ten dollars—"

     "That's not—"

     "So! We got you this!" She turned around, but there was nothing there. "Sorry, Rory's supposed to walk through the door with the gift any time now." After a moment of no one coming through the door, she sighed. "Anytime now!"

Rosie could see Rory's silhouette through the translucent window by the door, then heard a bark before Rory walked in. "What was that?"

"Alright, that kind of ruined the surprise a little but—" Lorelai stopped when her daughter finall y stepped through the door with a Pomeranian in her hands. "It's a dog!"

"You got me a dog?!"

     "Well, for the rest of the day— we're kind of only renting him off of Miss Patty, but yes!" Rory handed her the dog.

   "Aw, what's his name?" Rosie asked as she stroked her hand through his fur.

     "John."

     "She named him John?"

    "He doesn't seem like a John." Kayla commented.

Rosie glanced at the dog in her hands then back to the two Gilmores."I love him." She said in awe.

      "It's a girl, actually."

      "She named her lady puppy John?" Kayla said in shock at the absurdity.

      "Wait 'till you see what she's planning on naming her kids."

     When the sun set, Rory and Rosie left to get food and a movie. Because Rosie left her DVD of Good Will Hunting back in her childhood room in Hartford last month, they opted to rent it from Stars Hollow's Video Store. She refused to break her four year streak of rewatching the movie on her birthday.

     But first, they stopped by Doose's for snacks. Before they could enter, Rory tugged on Rosie's sleeve. "Shoot." Her eyes were stern on the window that looked into the grocery shop.

    "What?" Rosie followed her haze.

    "Dean's in there."

     Rosie glanced at the window that looked into Doose's, and saw Dean sorting the aisle shelves. "It's still awkward between you two?"

     "I wouldn't know, I've been successfully avoiding him the past few months."

     "Avoiding someone in Stars Hollow? Impressive." Rosie nodded, petting John. "Alright, you get the movie, I'll get the food."