25| a midsummer night's dream

JUNE proved to be an eventful month after Lorelai graduated community college, Rosie and Rory both succeeded in getting straight A's at the end of their junior year, and Rosie's spontaneous trip to the city.

It concluded perfectly with Sookie's humble floral wedding at the Inn, putting the final bow on June.

"Let it be said that I am a thoughtful gift giver." Rosie announced as she entered the kitchen, placing a bag on the counter. "This weddings gift transforms, no— rebirths. It represents their ascension into one phase of their life to the other, coming out of it as new, formed people."

Rory walked to the counter to grab a coffee mug, peeking into Rosie's bag. "It's a waffle maker."

"It's the Breville WafflePro 3000."

"It's the waffle-maker-sold-in-Doosey's 3000, for forty bucks." Lorelai responded.

"Forty? I got it for two hundred! That's it, Dad's right, I'm stupid with my money."

"We'll add your name to our gift, honey." Lorelai says, pouring coffee into Rory's cup. "Hey, want to hear some gossip I found out last night?"

The phone started to ring before she could continue. "Let me get that first."

"Don't bother, it's probably my conscious." Lorelai said. "Tell it, I know, I heard you the first time!"

"It's Lane." Rory said before drifting into a conversation with her friend. "Hey, Lane. No— the ceremony starts at two. Hold on a second," She covered the microphone of the landline and turned to her mother. "Lane says Kirks wants to know if the no wearing white to a wedding rule applies to men. Or Kirk."

     "Tell him if it's not at least an eggshell coloured suit, my red wine is ready to meet his suit."

      "Alright." When Rory ended the call, she sat back around the kitchen table. "So, what's the gossip?"

    Lorelai leaned into the table anticipatingly. "So, guess who's in the process of breaking up?"

     "Please don't say Radiohead." Rosie gasped.

     "Couples, not bands. And Connecticut, not Oxfordshire."

     "Oh no, the bride and groom?" Rosie continued guessing.

     "No!" She turned to Rory, giving up on Rosie. "Sherry and your dad."

     "No..." Rory widened her eyes. "Dad told you?"

     "Last night." She confirmed.

     "Thank god, she was an asshole." Rosie muttered as she sipped her coffee, receiving looks from the two of them. "What? We're all thinking it." She turned to a smiling, almost giddy Lorelai. "You're smiling."

     "I'm not smiling!" She said with a wide smile.

     "You are totally smiling." Rory teased. "I hate to distract you from this breakup, but we have a wedding to prepare in less than thirty minutes and you're still not ready."

     Rosie stood up, grabbing her bag. "I'll go get started."

     The wedding preparations seemed to go smoothly, the flowers all in place and the catering close to perfect. Rosie, Rory and Lorelai changed into their cobalt blue bridesmaid sleeveless dresses with a draped neckline. Lorelai headed off to make some finishing touches at the Inn, and Rosie sat on the front porch awaiting guests.

     When the guests started coming in, and the Inn became more full and crowded, Rosie spotted her parents from afar. Excitedly, she approached them. "You came."