26

simon watched her leave his bedroom door as he broke into fits of tears. he was never the type to cry, especially in front of people, he never wanted people to see him weak, but everything hurt right now and crying seemed to be the only right reaction to what had just happened.

standing still for a moment, he choked on his tears, letting them flow from his cheeks. in the moment, he almost felt betrayed. like his whole world had crumbled in front of him. he wanted to beat himself up for even falling for her, for allowing himself to catch feelings this badly.

he managed to pick himself up, dragging his feet to the living room whilst wiping at his sore and swollen eyes. sitting on the sofa, he folded his knees up to his chest and fell sideways into the cushions, sniffling and choking every so often. he decided to wait for jj to get home, knowing he needed his best friend right now. attempting to resist the tears, he pushed his face into the pillow, trying to steady his breathing.

hearing the front door open, he instantly sat up, breathing in deeply whilst wiping at the wet patches surrounding his eyes, but nothing could hide is emotion. "yo where's daisy?" in walked a slightly tipsy jj.

"she erm -"

"bro, what's wrong?" jj glanced at the boy with sad eyes, rushing to sit beside him. he wrapped a comforting arm around his friends shoulder, the last thing he would ever want to see is his best friend like this.

"nothing." quickly shaking his head, simon rested into his friends embrace.

"just tell me simon." he muttered, rubbing his shoulder. he could almost feel simon's overwhelming sadness in himself.

"i - i," he stumbled over his own words, trying to catch his breath. "i told her how i feel."

"i'm guessing it wasn't a good reaction?" simon pulled himself back from his friends hug, looking up at him and slowly shaking his head.

"no mate, it wasn't." he sighed, falling back into the cushions, melting into the comfort.

"well, what did she say?"

"she loves harry, jide." he mumbled into the cushions, sighing at those words. how could she have possibly fallen for him? how could she not have fallen for simon, who was by her side through everything.

"what? how?" simon's words startled him, causing him to raise his voice slightly. "nah, surely not!"

"she actually felt something with him, not me. i look like such an idiot. i'm so foolishly in love, i found love where it wasn't supposed to be and i've made a mug out of myself." lifting his head up from the cushions, he looked up at his best friend red faced. everything hurts right now, his breathing unsteady and his eyes burning from the tears. he regretted admitting anything to her, knowing that in some way, he could still have her if he did not open his mouth. but his feelings towards her were sending him insane, spiralling him out of control, he had to admit something.

"i'm just shocked." jj looked down at simon, sympathetically rubbing his shoulder again. he loved simon and daisy together, noticing how his best friend beamed when she was around him and how she brought light into him. and now he has been left, heart broken, for a guy who broke her and simon was left picking up her pieces. jj almost felt anger towards daisy, angry at her for leading his best friend on, for spending all of this time with him only to drop him in the mud. "so she was getting with harry behind your back?"

"i mean, i assume so. they've probably kissed once or something. but it's so weird, i thought they were just friends? but even he kept getting bothered about me and daisy together. i don't understand."

"yeah i don't either. harry is a weird one to figure out too." jj mumbled, watching his best friend hold back his sobs.

"i don't understand it, why did he have to come back into her life?" simon sighed, almost infuriated.

"because he needed her, just like you needed her sometimes. it's just one of those things." jj offered a sympathetic smile, trying to calm simon down.

"what can i do?"

"there's not much you can do mate. she's in love, not much can really stop that. i just think, after tonight, you should try get over her."

"how? she literally works for us." he mumbled, choking on the sobs that were about to emerge from his chest.

"i know, but you just have to deal with it. i'm sorry this has happened simon. i'm shocked she has done this to you."

a/n
i just published a new, complete story written in a series of letters.
there's a few trigger warnings, but those who feel comfortable reading it i would love to see some love on it x