Prologue

"Remember, we have been planning for this for so long

"Remember, we have been planning for this for so long. This is your dream Seana, don't let it slip away. Not again." Coach looked at me intensely. "This piece is all about..." he stopped, gesturing to me to finish the sentence and make me remember.

"... The pain, agony, and anger of the dancer with a broken heart," I answered.

"This idea is risky; no one has done it before, at least not in an International Competition, but if you pull it off and relay the message through your gestures and expression, you will be a success. This routine would leave an unforgettable mark." He echoed his speech back when I asked why he picked such an unusual idea for my International routine.

I then heard the audience applaud, which meant that the previous competitor had already finished. I was up next.

I could feel my pulse quickening. I could sense the solid ice under my skates, and the rink's chilly aura encircled my body. A place so familiar that I could almost call it home, and so foreign now that it is overflowing with watchful eyes.

"Our next skater, representing the Republic of Korea, Seana Kim!"

I nodded as I took one more look at my mentor. He returned the nod and muttered his good luck.As the audience exploded in cheering and applause, I skated my way to the center of the arena. I began skating around the rink to get a feel for the new ice before beginning the routine that I had been practicing for months when I caught a glimpse of him.

It's him. He's here.

He's at the judges' table, with a pen and a grin that could melt the ground I'm standing on. I was still feeling the ice, but I couldn't pull my gaze away from him. Hatred began to invade my body.

I can't guarantee it's a pleasure to see you, but welcome back to the rink,

Park Sunghoon.