Chapter 1 - Proud

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ KIM SEANA ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

I came to a halt at the beginning of my routine and posed, waiting to hear the first beat of the music.

As the beat dropped, I caught one last glance of the guy, who was looking at me with a stunned expression on his face.

So you didn't know I'd be here, huh?

I began gliding across the ice, allowing the music to form my movements. Despite the fact that my body had memorized and was doing the routine flawlessly, my mind was elsewhere. My thoughts are already occupied by him.

。☆✼★ 1 year ago ★✼☆。

"Why can't I compete at International, coach? I've won every competition you have entered me." I whined and sulked. As a teenager, I always wanted to go to International, a chance to compete outside Seoul. A chance to be known across the world.

"Seana honey, you are one of the most amazing soloists that I have ever trained, but Nationals is such a huge competition you are too young."

"The age limit is 18, I'm already in, coach," I muttered still upset.

"I didn't mean age, Seana. The girls you would be competing with are so advanced. I just don't want you to have a bad experience in your first Nationals."

"Don't you trust me, coach?" I said and put my hands on my hips as I raised my eyebrows at him.

"You know, it's not that. I wasn't going to enter you this year in the solo category. However, I never said that I would not be entering you at all." My eyes lit up at the same time that my ears perked up.

Coach Lim saw how his words affected me and he chuckled. "How about I introduce you to an old friend hmm?" he said with a grin and looked behind me.

I turned to look at what he was referring to. My eyes widened.

"Hoonie!" I exclaimed as I skated through the rink as fast as I can to hug my dearest friend.

"Noona." He caught me just in time and spun me around on the ice. Our skates never clashing even with such proximity.

"You're back." I broke the hug and stared at him. He was gleaming and showcasing a smile that deepened his dimple.

"I'm back, noona."

With all my might, I spun to a triple axel and landed gracefully on the ice. The ice shattered by my skates rubbed against my thighs, sending shivers up and down my spine, jolting me out of my reminiscences of him.

I managed to glide and spin to my heart's content, still in agony and sorrow from the memories brought forth by the ice. Before I knew it, I was kneeling on the ice in my last pose.

And as the crowd erupted in cheers, a tear fell from my eyes.

I bowed to all before gliding off the ice. Then I arrived at the exit. Coach Lim greeted me with tears in his eyes. He held me so closely that my legs buckled. We cried on each other's shoulders, but for very different reasons.

After a while, I was able to relax. Coach praised me for conveying the feelings so powerfully that I cried so hard. I actually laughed it off and pushed him jokingly. After that, the contestants clustered around the rink for the announcement. Everyone was shivering, some from the chill of the ice, others from nerves.

"Ladies and gentlemen before we even start the anticipated announcements, may I first introduce to you our esteemed panel." The announcer started to introduce the judges. Just as I always did, I didn't pay attention to him. Almost none of the participants did, we were all too nervous.

I can sense Sunghoon's gaze burning into the side of my face. I never dared to look him in the eyes. Because even if I tried, I couldn't.

"Last and most definitely not the least, he is the 2016 and 2017 junior silver medalist and the 2015 novice gold medalist of Asian Figure Skating Trophy, at the same year he garnered the novice gold medal of the Lombardian Trophy. He also won silver medals in the 2013 novice and 2014 junior completion of South Korean Figure Skating Championship." The announcer stated some of the most familiar awards that I have heard of.

I was with him when he garnered those awards.

"Now, he is a worldwide known idol, a survivor of I-land, member of the super rookie group Enhypen. Please give a round of applause to Mr. Sunghoon Park!"

Cheers rang out and flowers flew from left and right, praising the man with the pale white skin and dark silky hair. He grinned and nodded to the audience, who screamed even louder. I resisted the temptation to cover my ears and cry. Instead, I clapped and flashed them my most picture-perfect grin, as I'd been taught to do.

Before I could even catch a breath it was time to announce the winner of my category.

"And the gold medal for the female solo category is..."

My heart stopped.

"Seana Kim! The Republic of Korea!"

All happened so quickly that I was suddenly in front of the audience, with Park Sunghoon standing next to me. He faced me, with the gold medal. It took all I had not to sob in front of him. I stared him down with a blank expression on my face.

He gave me a sad smile and hung the medal around my neck. His soft hands brushed against my skin.

"I'm proud of you, noona."