iii.

the prank

❏❏❏

SEPTEMBER 10th 1975

CATRIONA was woken up early Friday morning. She had fallen asleep in the common room while researching stars for Astronomy. She sat upright, wide awake, when she heard someone jump into the room. James jumped off the stairs then turned back to his dorm and called out "Oi Padfoot! You coming?" Catriona heard a grunt in response and James sighed before facing the common room. "Oh hey Cat, didn't know you were awake," he said once he noticed her on the armchair, legs draped over the sides.

"I slept here," she yawned as she stood up. Catriona flattened her jumper before folding the blanket over the chair. "Where you off to?"

"Quidditch pitch, gotta practice before tryouts tomorrow." James said.

"Quidditch? Do you mind if I joined?" Catriona asked, enthusiastically. She absolutely adored Quidditch.

"You play?" he asked. Catriona nodded in response. "I mean it doesn't look like Padfoot... Sirius, will be down so, sure!"

"Alright thanks!" She said, slipping her shoes on.

❏❏❏

"Where do you play?" James asked as he went into the shed to get his broom and one for Catriona.

"I can play anywhere really." she said, tying her wavy blonde hair up in a high ponytail.

"Anywhere? Wow." he said, amazed.

"Well anywhere but Keeper, I'm rubbish there." Catriona said.

"You should try out for Seeker tomorrow. Every other spot is filled but that one."

"I don't know if the captain would want me on, I haven't played since early summer."

"I think the captain will be perfectly fine with it" James said, winking.

"Are you friends with him?"

"I am him" James said, mounting his broom.

"You're joking, really?" Catriona said, joining him in the air.

James nodded and said "Race?"

"Oh you're on Potter" Catriona and James spent the morning before classes racing and practicing everything Quidditch, like hitting Bludgers and searching for fake Golden Snitches. They even took turns being Keeper so the other could practice shooting the Quaffle into the rings.