xvii.

malfoy

❏❏❏

MARCH 22nd 1976

DURING lunch, Cat and James decided to head to the library. OWL's were coming up and they both needed help in classes the other was great at. Cat was rubbish at Transfiguration, which James excelled in. James wasn't doing very good in Muggle Studies, opposite of Cat who loved the subject. "I don't understand how you're so good at Muggle Studies," James told her while trying to explain what a television was for an essay. "If anything ever goes wrong and we have to hide as Muggles, you'd be the first person I go to." Cat laughed at his compliment.

"I was fascinated with them when I was younger. I would always sneak out to the village by my house and explore all their stores and cafe's," Cat exclaimed. James was looking at her with a look of astonishment. "One time, when I didn't know much about Muggles, I was chased by the police - it's like their Department of Magical Law Enforcement - down at least a block for walking out of a boutique without paying."

"How did you escape? Don't they have, like, spells to fire at you?"

Cat laughed once again at his lack of Muggle knowledge. "They weren't wizards, James. They don't have wands, they have things like guns and batons to take you down. Anyways, I escaped by climbing up the fire escape of one of the buildings." James looked like he was thinking hard. "Fire escapes are something they use if there is a fire in their flat. They climb down them to get away if the door is blocked." Cat explained, knowing James' question.

"Alright, back to whatever a telvizon is," James said, getting them back on track.

"Right, I'll grab another book." Cat got up and walked to one side of the library which marked MUGGLE STUDIES. All the books down this aisle had books on subjects you would learn through Muggle Studies.

She was searching the books marked "T" for the first letter when she heard someone come up to her. "Hello Catriona," he said. Cat turned and saw the seventh year Slytherin named Lucius Malfoy looking down at her. He was tall, a little taller Remus, James, and Sirius, so he had to look down to her.

"What do you want, Malfoy," she said, turning away to start walking down another aisle.

"I was wondering if you could help me," he said, speeding up his walk to get in front of her, causing her to stop walking. "I need help with this Potions essay and you seem to be here alone."

Cat rolled her eyes. "How about you go ask Snape, he's top in the class and in your own house. Besides, I am not alone." Cat walked around him, to continue to look for her book.