viii.

sleep

❏❏❏

OCTOBER 16 1975

"DOES it usually take this long to wake her up?"

"No"

"She's usually up by a few shakes"

"Maybe she's dead"

"She's not dead, Peter" Catriona had woken up on the couch to voices surrounding her. She must've fallen asleep studying, again. When she opened her eyes, it was all dark and something was on her head, her Transfiguration workbook.

"We could try throwing water on her, mum does it to me all the time," she heard James say.

"If you throw water on me, Potter, I will hex you into next week" she grumbled.

Marlene lifted the book off her head and said "We're a bit cranky today, aren't we."

"Just let me go back to sleep," she said, covering her face with a pillow to blockout the blinding light. At times like these she wished she actually had been sorted into Slytherin so the common room was under the lake, meaning no harsh light

"Come on," Lily said, throwing the pillow on the other side of the couch "You'll be late to classes."

"Let me sleep through Potions just this once," she said, finally opening her eyes to see who all was there. Marlene was sitting on the arm rest by Cat's head, Lily at her feet. Sirius and Remus were behind the couch and James was sitting on the table. Peter was on the floor and Rachel was in one of the armchairs.

Sirius sighed and sarcastically said "It's fine guys, I'll take one for the team and skip Potions to make sure she wakes up." He placed a hand on Cat's shoulder.

"No, we all need to go to Potions," Lily said, swatting Sirius' hand away. "Now come on." By this time she was heaving Catriona up to a sitting position.

"Oi" Rachel said. "If she wants to sleep let her sleep" Lily scowled back at Rachel, still trying to lift Cat up. It was obvious Rachel and Lily didn't like each other. They hadn't liked each other since the night Rachel started living in their dorm. It didn't make it much better when Rachel's cat, Peggy, mistaked Lily's bed for a litterbox.

"You can't just sleep through lessons. Unlike some people, I care about my friends academic career," Lily spat back.

"At least I care about my friends physical health. Look at her, she obviously needs more sleep," Rachel said, pointing at Cat. "How much sleep did you get last night Cat?"