xxxvi

i have a little something to say before you start reading.
1.) i ran out of gifs of lily james so there won't be anymore sorry
2.) i have been hyperfixating on books (mostly six of crows) and have been reading that and wolfstar fics on ao3 that's why i haven't been writing lol BUT i am back and going to try to write everyday. maybe not everyday because i had to give my computer away😕 so i'm writing this on google docs on my moms work computer.
3.) i have ZERO (0) ideas for the end of sixth year and all of seventh year so we're going to skip to the war for funsies🤪 i have like 19495926 ideas in my notes for the war and a lot of *drama* to happen lol so i don't plan on ending this fic for at least 10 more chapters (don't hold me accountable for that though...)
ANYWAYS ENJOY THIS CHAPTER :))))

❏❏❏

JUNE 15th 1978

MOST of the school, if not the whole school was on their way back to Kings Cross Station for the summer holiday. Cat and the Marauders hadn't left with the rest of their schoolmates. Dumbledore asked for them to meet in his office a week ago, so they wouldn't forget. Cat was sure the four most forgetful boys in all of Hogwarts would forget a silly little meeting. But she was wrong, it was all they were talking about. During meals they would cast a sound proofing charm so no one could overhear them talking about this meeting. They would talk about it in classes without the charm when they thought they were safe. Most times they were, other times not so much. They got a handful of detentions for disrupting a class. Actually, that's where they were now. Slughorn figured they could have an hour detention before the 'top-secret' meeting. So the boys were cleaning Slughorn's classroom as their last ever detention while Cat was returning all her books to the library.

She had a teary-eyed goodbye with Marlene, Lily, and Rachel before they left for the train. "Marlene, it's not like we'll never see each other again," Cat laughed as Marlene practically jumped into Cat's arms.

"I know it's just," Marlene trailed off, pulling away from the hug. "You're going off and becoming a Healer at St. Mungos and I'm going to a Muggle University. We won't see eachother every day."

"I promise you, Marlene Mckinnon, that I will travel to your university every weekend just so we can talk."

"Catriona Mcgonagall, I am holding you to your word for the rest of our long-lived lives," Marlene proclaimed as she brought Cat back into a hug.

"Marls, come on. We'll miss the train," Rachel said. Marlene let go and walked off to the train. Rachel and Lily following closely behind, hand in hand. That was the biggest surprise that came out of seventh year: Lily and Rachel's relationship. Peter was right back in sixth year, she did leave him for a girl and they couldn't be happier. Lily revealed that the reason she rejected James all those years was because she knew she didn't like boys. The only reason she tried to get with him in fifth year was because she came out to her sister and she wasn't happy to put it lightly. Lily was ashamed and tried to 'set herself straight' until she realized her feelings for Rachel. Cat was beyond happy for them.

Now here she was, putting the many books she found around her room, the boys' dorm, and around the common room back on their shelves. "Who's here," she heard Ms. Pince croak from her high desk in the front of the library.

"Just me, Ms. Pince," Cat said, turning a corner. "I'm just returning some old books I found around the common room." Just then, James ran into the Library.

"Cat," he huffed, as if out of breath. "Remember that meeting?"

"How could I forget, it's all you boys have been talking about."

"Well then let's go," he said. James reached his hand out to Cat, which she grabbed gratefully.

"How'd you know I was there?" she asked after a few beats of silence.