| xii |

"Am I getting any better at this, Ogi-chan? Because I feel like I'm not!" Oikawa pouted as the girl rolled her eyes.

"Chess isn't something you can learn in the spawn of weeks, Oikawa-san." She replied nonchalantly, as she always did.

It was mid-June, and though both teenagers were drowning in the upcoming summer's heat, the girl was still wearing a red hoodie that made her eyes stand out oh so perfectly to Oikawa.

They'd been practicing chess problems for two weeks now, but the brunette was starting to get frustrated.

His games had finally started to last longer, but the outcome was always the same: she was always the one to declare checkmate.

"I know, but still, I must be doing something wrong, right?" He asked once again. He'd been complaining to her for the past few days or so, and was not content with her shrugs and lack of answers.

"You're doing just fine, stop worrying about it." She replied, putting her stuff back in her bag as the bus approached the stop before hers.

"Ok, well, why is it you always manage to beat me then?" Oikawa asked, crossing his arms and staring intently at the girl.

She paused, previous games with the brunette flashing in her head as she tried to identify the source of his problem.

"Well, for starters you have less experience than I do." She said thoughtfully after awhile, Oikawa listening to her words intently as if his life depended on them. "And, well... don't take this the wrong way, but you're kind of predictable."

What? The boy's eyes widened as the girl shrugged some more.

"What- I am not predictable Ogi-chan!" He complained loudly as the girl raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah you are. You are a straight A's student, captain of a sports team who dreams to play professionally and a bit of a flirt. It doesn't get much more predictable than that." She explained calmly while one of the veins in Oikawa's heard threatened to pop right there and then.

"First of all, I am a complete flirt, not just a bit, ok?" He protested loudly as the girl sighed. Oh dear, she'd hit a nerve, hadn't she? "And second of all, I am not that predictable! And even if I was, there would be nothing wrong with that!"

"I didn't say there was. I just said that on the chess board it plays at your disadvantage." She shrugged as the boy turned red.

In all of his fuming anger, Oikawa crossed his arms over his chest and turned away.

"I can't believe you would say something like that." He pouted as the girl rolled her eyes.

"I'm not going to apologize, Oikawa, it's the truth. Instead of sulking, study up your chess problems." She declared as she got up and went towards the doors.

"See you tomorrow-" she didn't have time to finish as she was interrupted by the setter's loud screams.

"I'M GOING TO SHOW YOU I'M NOT PREDICTABLE, JUST WAIT AND SEE!"

The girl shook her head, exasperated, as she left the bus. There really was no hope for him, it seemed.

------------------

"Hey, Shittykawa, remember when I told you learning chess to flirt with a girl was the dumbest thing you'd ever done?" Iwaizumi chirped as he looked around the shop while Oikawa slightly hummed in agreement. "Well, this is ten times worst."

Oikawa turned his head abruptly, pouting at his best friend. "No, it's not!"

"Yes, it is!" Iwaizumi replied loudly, causing some other costumers to stare at them. "She only said you were predictable, it's not the end of the world!"

"Well, I don't care! I'm not predictable, and I'm going to show her!" Oikawa declared, feeling almighty, as he flipped the book with the different designs.

"And you think getting a tattoo is the way to go?" Iwaizumi exclaimed some more, exasperated with the setter's behaviour. When had he even decided to become friends with him?

"It doesn't get much more unpredictable than that." The brunette declared with a smirk on his face as the ace felt a vein popping in his head.

"Coach is going to kill you. Your parents are going to kill you! I am going to kill you, Trashykawa!" He tried to bring him back to reality, in vain.

"They're never going to know." Oikawa shrugged, turning to his best friend. "You worry to much Iwa-chan, and worrying gives you wrinkles, you know?"

Oikawa's remark was met by a hit in the head. "OW, IWA! YOU'RE SO MEAN!"

"Huh... can I help you?" The tattoo artists finally walked up to the counter, seemingly having finished his work on the previous customer.

"Oh, yeah, I'm here to get a tattoo." Oikawa chirped, gently massaging his head and looking through the designs. His heart almost dropped when he found what he wanted.

"This one." He firmly put his finger on it as both the tattoo artist and Iwaizumi leaned in to see it.

Iwaizumi shook his head as the tattoo artist led Oikawa to the chair.

"Where do you want it?" The tattoo artist asked.

"On the side of my pelvic, right above my underwear." Oikawa replied confidently, though he was starting to have second thoughts. Not about his plan to prove he was very unpredictable, but about the pain that came with it. Oh well, one had to make sacrifices in life.

"Here?" The tattoo artists raised his shirt, indicating a spot.

"Perfect."