| xv |

That evening was never mentioned again.

Oikawa sensed the girl probably wouldn't want to talk about it, and despite his wish to know what had been bothering her that day, he complied to her wishes.

The only proof that it wasn't just a figment of his imagination was the way his name rolled off her tongue oh so sweetly.

He still wasn't used to it. Every time she called him by his name he froze, getting lost momentarily in her emerald green eyes.

Tooru knew that it was wrong. He knew that his heart wasn't supposed to beat as fast as it did every time she was around or their hands touched. Despite knowing that his heart's requests would only be met with pain, he basked in the image of his beauty and acted as if nothing was wrong.

It wasn't true. Many things were wrong, including his feelings that would probably never be returned. But, no matter how hard he'd tried, he'd finally given in; there was no denying he'd fallen head over heels for the green-eyed girl.

It was a sunny late June afternoon when Tooru Oikawa finally found out what he'd been prying for so long; and all by mere accident.

"Ok, where does white move now?" The girl asked as Oikawa hung his head like he always did when he was analysing the board.

"Knight to E1, to attack the king again." He replied after a short pause.

"Ok, the queen eats your Knight. Then?"

"I eat her with my tower... and I think it's checkmate." He quickly added, eyes beaming in pride.

The girl simply hummed in response, though she was internally swelling with pride. They'd been studying for almost a month now and the setter had considerably gotten better.

They hadn't played in awhile, but the girl was positively sure she'd have a harder time beating him if they did.

"That was very nice. And that also concludes the book." She sighed happily, closing the blue hard cover book shut.

"So should we have another match then?" The boy asked, stirring his sleepy muscles.

"Actually, there's a second book from the same author. I think it'd be good if we started going through it." She explained thoughtfully.

Oikawa shrugged in response, giving the girl permission to do whatever she wanted: after all, she was the master.

The green-eyed girl went for her bag, putting the book back and rummaging through it, looking for another one.

She finally found it, her eyes gleaming with passion the same way they did every time Oikawa opened the board.

The girl handed it to the setter as she tidied up her bag. In the meantime, Oikawa nonchalantly opened the book, wanting to flip through the pages and get an idea of what he'd be working on.

The brunette felt his whole body freeze as his eyes landed on the first page. Though he wanted to tear his eyes off the page just as fast as he'd laid them, it was too late.

The damage had been done.

His breath hitched and his heart was in his throat, his eyes wide in horror and glued on the girl's buss pass that she must have slipped in between the pages.

There, in a small typography, was the name he'd longed to learn for so long.

Karasu Kyoshi.

"Tooru-kun, are you alright?" She asked, noticing the boy was barely breathing, eyes fixated on the first page of the book.

He finally looked up, disbelief and shock painted in his eyes.

"Tooru?" The girl questioned again, tempted to nudge him a bit.

"I- I didn't mean to see it- it was just there between the pages and-" The poor boy started mumbling incomprehensibly.

"Tooru, what are you talking about?" The girl asked as she leaned in and noticed her bus pass stuck in the pages. "It's my buss pass, so what?"

She shrugged as the boy still looked at her with a pleading look. Was he going to have to tell her himself? He really didn't want to.

Though the boy had been longing to find out her name for so long, it felt so awfully wrong doing so this way.

In his mind, he'd imagined that one day he'd finally manage to beat her and have her name and number as a sweet trophy.

But now, all of that was nothing but a mere dream.

"Tooru, what's the matter?" The girl decided to nudge his arm, seeing he still wouldn't move. "It's just my bus pass, you have one too. It's got my birthday, my name and-"

The girl's eyes suddenly widened, suddenly comprehending what Tooru had been so shocked by.

She too froze as they both just stared at each other, Tooru side glancing to the bus pass from time to time to make sure he'd gotten the name.

He sighed, closing the book shut and handing it back to her. "I'm really sorry. I know you value your privacy, and this wasn't how I wanted to find out." He looked away, a tint of pink hue taking over his cheeks.

Kyoshi was still trying to recover from the sudden shock, eyes continuously travelling between the brunette and the book.

She finally shook her head and sighed, thinking that Fudo would find them ridiculous and far too dramatic. It was just her name after all.

"It's not that big of a deal, Tooru." She finally shrugged as the boy's head shot up.

"Are you... are you sure?" He asked, still torn.

"It's my name, Tooru. It's really not that dramatic." She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, opening the book and looking for a problem they could analyse.

"So... your brother's name is Karasu Katashi..." the chocolate brown-eyed boy started, wanting to make sure he got it right. "And that would make you Karasu-"

"Kyoshi." The girl interrupted without looking up.

"Kyoshi." The setter mumbled softly to himself, making the girl's heart beat faster.

She'd never heard him say her name and hadn't realised how nice it sounded when he was the one to say it.

"I can call you Kyoshi, right?" He suddenly asked, worry taking over him once again.

He liked her name, it was more melodious than in any of his wildest dreams and it fit her perfectly. Kyoshi meant quiet, and though he had learned to know other aspects of her over time, he still thought it was a great fit for the first impression people got of her.

"Of course, Tooru. Now come on, focus. Let's get started before I have to leave."

And so Oikawa complied, scanning the board with a small smile on his face.

Ah, how great it felt to be head over heels for Kyoshi Karasu.