| xx |

"Hey, Kyoshi-chan!" Oikawa gleefully greeted the girl, imperceptibly glancing at her hand.

Nothing. He internally sighed. Either she hadn't opened his gift yet or she'd decided not to wear it. He wasn't sure, and frankly didn't have the courage to ask.

It had been 2 weeks since Kyoshi's birthday, and the early August heat didn't seem to cool down even a little bit. Despite the monstrous heat, Kyoshi was loyal to her hoodies and was never seen without one.

Oikawa, on the other hand, was a tad weaker, and had resorted to carrying his jacket in his hand at all times.

"Hi, Tooru." The girl simply replied, and Oikawa immediately noticed something was wrong with her.

She seemed a tad less dynamic than usual... was she sleepy?

The setter decided to try and cheer her up. He sat down loudly, their shoulders bumping into each other in the process. What he hadn't planned was the small wince of pain Kyoshi suddenly let out.

The setter's eyes widened. "Kyoshi?"

"Ah, it's nothing, don't worry about it." The girl quickly tried shrugging him off, but Oikawa had entered a protective mode and he wasn't going to back down.

"Are you ok? Did I hurt you? Was I too abrupt?" He fired these questions, trying to get a look at her shoulder.

"No, Tooru, it's not your fault I promise." The girl tried to reassure him with her remaining strength. But his face was painted with worry, and she hated the possibility of him blaming himself for something that was not his fault. "Tooru, you didn't do anything. I just messed up a stunt today and fell on my shoulder, that's all."

Though her words were meant to reassure him, they only caused his anxiety to grow.

"What? Well why are you taking the bus? Couldn't you get someone to pick you up or something? Are you insane? You could have a concussion!" Kyoshi's eyes were wide as Oikawa gently shook her.

His words were coated with worry for her, and he seemed to be going on a tangent. She'd never pegged him for the kind of guy who got worried easily.

"Tooru." She placed her hand on his, causing to stop abruptly and stare right into her green eyes. "It's fine. I'm fine, I promise. They already checked and I don't have a concussion. My shoulder is just a bit sore, that's all."

She hadn't smiled, but her words had been soothing nonetheless. For once, Oikawa noticed her eyes weren't filled with diffidence or irritation, but genuine reassurance.

And he liked it better this way.

"You should get some sleep." He finally declared.

"What? What about chess?" She asked, startled at his suggestion.

"That can wait tomorrow. You just fell from a bike, you're probably exhausted. Get some sleep and I'll wake you up at your stop."

Kyoshi stared at the boy once more wide-eyed. She'd never seen this... caring side of him. It was a contrast to his usual gleeful and childish self.

Of course she'd come to find out Tooru was made of many layers long before that. That night when she'd started calling him by his name, she'd learned that not everything is what it seems.

Oikawa Tooru put on a tough and flirty appearance every day, but in reality, he was a caring, dedicated and determined person.

This was all Kyoshi could think as she nodded slightly, gently placing her head on the window and falling into a deep slumber.

Tooru watched as the girl miraculously agreed to his idea and placed her head on the window.

Oikawa simply stared ahead, carefully listening to her breathing and waiting for her to fall asleep. The process barely took 10 minutes; she must have been exhausted because in barely no time at all, she was lightly snoring.

The setter smiled at her sleeping figure. She looked so much more at ease, privy of any daunting thoughts and worries.

He silently opened his bag and grabbed a chess book out of it; she may have been sleeping, but he wasn't going to waste any precious time to study.

He was still planning on beating her one day anyway.

The setter was deeply immersed in the book, eyebrows furrowing every now and then at the problems, that he didn't notice the girl slowly shifting in her sleep.

It wasn't until he heard the loud thud and an unfamiliar weight on his shoulder that he finally looked up.

Oikawa had a suspicion as to what was currently leaning on his shoulder, but he was too scared to peek.

He exhaled sharply, face flushing red, as he finally turned his head to see what had happened.

As he'd imagined, Kyoshi's head had inexplicably ended up on his shoulder.

The girl was still sleeping, letting out some small snores from time to time, but otherwise peacefully enjoying the slumber she'd fallen into.

Oikawa was more than sure his face was bright red - he could feel the heat from his cheeks.

"Kyoshi?" He attempted in a small whisper, but the girl did not wake up.

Crap. He thought. Now what?

The feeling of her so close to him was so nice and warm, making it impossibly for him to think. She truly looked exhausted, so he didn't want to wake her up.

But would she be mad when she woke up? He didn't want to do anything against her will.

Oikawa finally decided to let her be. It wasn't his fault, and she deserved some more sleep.

He tried to get back into reading his book, in vain. His brain was basically fried - he couldn't think straight, let alone comprehend some complicated chess problems when she looked so... beautiful.

Oikawa silently put his book back in his bag, making sure not to move his shoulder too much to avoid waking her up.

He then turned his head to get a good look at her. Some loose strands of her brown hair had fallen in her face, covering a part of her cheek.

The setter carefully took his hand and placed the strands behind her ear, knowing he'd never have the courage to be so bold if she was awake.

He was literally putty in her hand. If she knew how he felt about her, then she'd also know she could pretty much do anything she wanted with him and he wouldn't complain.

That's how much he loved her.

And it was with those thoughts that Oikawa slowly fell in a deep slumber himself, his head falling onto hers perfectly.

Almost as if it had always been meant to be there.