| xxii |

The man had turned out to be Katashi, Kyoshi's older brother.

After briefly explaining the situation, the young man had taken Kyoshi off of Oikawa's back and carried her upstairs. He'd asked Oikawa to wait in the kitchen and had disappeared.

Oikawa was deeply nervous, he didn't know what to do. He'd placed Kyoshi's bag close to the entrance, but had kept his on his shoulder. Now he was awkwardly standing in their kitchen, unsure on how to act.

Their kitchen was a nice, cozy place. It was white and green, and flowers were hand drawn all over the cupboards.

There were only three chairs around the dining table, which made Oikawa wonder why. Pictures of Kyoshi and Katashi were hung all over the walls, though the girl seemed to be smiling in none of them.

There was also a third person with them, in one of the older pictures. Perhaps another brother? He looked a lot like Kyoshi.

But before Oikawa had time to further inspect the kitchen, Katashi had already come down the stairs.

"Sorry for the wait." The man apologised as Oikawa sheepishly shrugged him off. He remembered Kyoshi mentioning he was 33 and a cop, but the man looked much younger and definitely not dangerous. "It isn't like my sister to randomly fall asleep on a bus, I don't know what took over her. Do you want some tea?" He suggested, pointing to one of the chairs around the dining table.

Oikawa silently nodded, taking his seat while Katashi brought out a couple of cups and the kettle.

"Again, I'm really sorry about the trouble my sister caused you. It was very nice of you to bring her back." Katashi continued as he poured the tea in Oikawa's cup.

"It was nothing, really. " Oikawa sheepishly said once more, waiting for the man to take a seat before sipping his tea. "She probably fell asleep because she fell from her bike and messed up a stunt today."

"Again?" Katashi exclaimed as he placed his cup back on the table, slightly jerking his body forward so he could get a good look at Oikawa.

His first impression of the setter wasn't bad at all. The boy had carried her all the way home just because he didn't want to wake her up. And besides, he was curious as to who was this boy who'd managed to convince his sister to fall asleep besides him.

"It happens often?" Oikawa inquired.

"Not really. But this is the second time this year already. The first time she busted her bike, and she's been using one of the Academy's ever since." Katashi explained as Oikawa nodded.

The man noticed the boy must have known Kyoshi better than he thought, because he seemed to understand everything he just said. He internally smirked. His sister didn't usually open up to random people, this boy must have been special.

"So how do you know my sister? Do you go the academy?" Katashi asked as Oikawa drank some more tea.

"Oh no, we ride the bus home together every day. I wouldn't have the strength to attend a military school." Katashi silently nodded.

He remembered the countless fights he'd gotten into with Kyoshi when the young girl had declared she wanted to attend a military school. It seemed completely stupid to him, especially since he knew the real reason behind her decision.

But Kyoshi had been firm, and in the end he'd given in.

"What school do you go to?"

"Aoba Johsai." Oikawa replied, starting to feel a bit embarrassed. He could tell Katashi had a sudden interest in him, and didn't think Kyoshi would be too happy to find out about all of this.

"Oh, that's where I've seen you! You're the captain of the volleyball team!" Katashi suddenly exclaimed as Oikawa nodded, though he was a bit confused.

There had been one night in June where Kyoshi had inexplicably wanted to turn on the TV to watch a volleyball match. Katashi hadn't understood the reason behind her sudden demeanour; however, he'd quickly noticed that all of her attention was focused on the Aoba Johsai's captain.

When the team had lost, Kyoshi had said nothing. She'd simply turned off the TV and gone up to her room in silence.

Katashi was finally beginning to understand how things really were.

"So how long have you known my sister?" He asked, pouring some more tea in Oikawa's cup. He wanted to know more about the one person his little sister seemed to be so interested in.

"Oh, since the beginning of April or so." Oikawa remembered their first encounter very well. "That's when she first rode the bus."

"And you've been riding the bus together ever since?"

Oikawa only hummed in response.

"Has she ever mentioned me?" Katashi asked with a smirk, causing Oikawa to let out a small laugh. Kyoshi's brother seemed like a really nice person.

"A couple of times, yes. Though she never said you guys lived together." He quickly added, trying to discreetly find out some more about the girl.

"Oh, well it's always been like this. Our parents passed away when Kyoshi was barely 3, so I've always taken care of her." Katashi wasn't surprised to Oikawa's sudden change in manners.

Kyoshi rarely talked about her parents. It wasn't because it was too painful, not that it wasn't, but simply because she couldn't remember them. Katashi had always been there for her, and that was enough.

He'd properly filled the void left behind by her parents, to the point where Kyoshi rarely ever wondered about life with them in it. Instead, she wondered about somebody else.

"Oh. I didn't know." Was all Oikawa managed to let out. Somehow, their death explained a lot about Kyoshi.

"Oh, it's alright. Kyoshi was too small to even remember anything, and it was an unlucky car accident. It's been 15 years now, and as far as I know she rarely thinks about it." The man shrugged, bringing Oikawa back to square one.

Katashi was clearly yet subtly telling him it wasn't their parents' death that had made Kyoshi the way she was. Then what had made her so closed off to the world?

"Can I ask you a question?" Katashi suddenly asked, his tone becoming serious.

Oikawa simply nodded.

"Are you planning on dating my sister?"

The setter's wide brown eyes widened as the man asked his question. While Katashi had a poker face on, Oikawa couldn't help the blush that rose to his cheeks.

This was defiantly a trick question. What was he supposed to answer now?

"It doesn't really matter." He let out an awkward sigh as he scratched his head sheepishly.

Katashi simply cocked his head to the side, furrowing his eyebrows as he waited for more.

"She doesn't want to date me, so it doesn't really matter how I feel."

Oikawa bit his lip as he waited for Katashi's reaction.

He didn't expect the smile that suddenly formed on his face.

"I like you a lot, Oikawa. I think you're a nice guy. And I hope one day my sister can come to like you too."