| xxiv |

Hi Tooru, it's Kyoshi.
Thanks for bringing me home, it was really nice of you.
My shoulder is fine, I just needed a little rest that's all.
Again, thank you.

When the text had come, Oikawa hadn't been able to do anything apart from staring at his screen dumbly.

He'd invited Maki, Matsun and Iwaizumi over since his parents were away from the weekend, but he suddenly wished he hadn't so he could text Kyoshi all night.

She'd actually texted him. Saying he was shocked was an understatement.

He'd decided to leave a note because Katashi had suggested it might be a good idea, and he seemed supportive enough of the prospective of him dating his sister.

Oikawa found that last detail fairly weird, but perhaps he was just trying to make sure his sister was in the right hands.

It was on impulse that he'd left his phone number as well. He didn't really believe she'd text him, but at least she'd always have the option to, even if they lost touch and had to find each other years later.

Of course, Oikawa didn't want that to happen. But as time went by, he feared more and more that her bike would get repaired and that he'd lose her forever.

But this text - this meant a lot of things. This meant he finally had her number. And that no matter what happened, he'd always have a way to barge into her life.

"Oi, Trashykawa, are you listening?" Iwaizumi suddenly snapped him out of his trance, and Tooru realised he'd gone quiet for quite awhile now. "What are you looking at anyway?"

"Oh nothing." Oikawa quickly brushed off, closing his phone before Iwaizumi had the opportunity to peek over his shoulder.

The evening went on, yet Oikawa was lost in his own little world. He wanted to do nothing more than answer Kyoshi's text, but didn't want to be teased about it endlessly. He'd have to wait until everyone fell asleep.

On that note, he decided to try and enjoy his night. After all, he had loads to celebrate. The spring preliminaries were just around the corner, barely two months away, and the girl of his dream seemed to actually care about him.

Nothing could be better.

-------------------

Maki, Matsun and Iwaizumi didn't pass out until halfway through the third horror movie they were binge watching.

Oikawa didn't particularly like them, but Iwaizumi loved scaring the shit out of Maki and Matsun, so he never really complained.

It was 2 in the morning when Oikawa had finally decided they were indeed asleep and it was safe to take his phone out.

He silently tiptoed to the couch, grabbing his phone and sitting, legs crisscrossed, on the floor as he opened the text.

The first thing he did was add Kyoshi's number to his contacts.

The second was adding a small heart next to her name.

Then he started brainstorming. He had to reply normally, not too pushy but not completely dry either. If he was too pushy, he'd make the girl regret giving him her number, and who knew what would happen afterwards.

He knew Kyoshi was very much capable of changing her phone number just to avoid him.

"You should say it's nothing and that you're glad she's ok." Oikawa shrieked and jumped, as he turned around and noticed Iwaizumi's sleepy eyes peeking over his shoulder. "What?"

"How long have you been standing there?" Oikawa whispered loudly, knowing he couldn't wake Matsun and Maki, but also knowing he had to appear somewhat pissed and outraged.

"Long enough to notice the heart next to her name." The ace yawned but smirked, while Oikawa hoped the darkness of his living room would hide the deep blush on his cheeks.

"Humph. Well I didn't need your help. That's what I was going to do anyway." He pouted as he started typing.

It was nothing, don't worry. I'm glad you're ok. Be careful, don't overwork yourself. I'll see you on Monday.

Oikawa raised his phone to Iwaizumi, waiting for his friend's advice on his message.

"That looks good." Iwaizumi nodded as Oikawa pressed send.

Oikawa was sitting with his back to the sofa, so he put his head backwards on the couch as Iwaizumi sat besides him and did the same thing.

"So you got her number today, huh?" Iwaizumi smirked.

"Oh shut up, Iwa-chan. You said you wouldn't tease." Oikawa pouted as Iwaizumi lightly chuckled.

"No, that is not what I said. I just said I wouldn't tell anyone. This is too much of a good thing to not tease you about." Iwaizumi laughed alone as Oikawa shook his head and pouted some more.

"Well, if you must know, she's really reserved." Oikawa paused, debating on whether to tell his friend or not. Oh well, he didn't have anyone to talk to about this, he might as well go on and do it. "It took her two months just to give me her name."

Iwaizumi's head shot up, a smirk painted on his lips. "Are you serious?"

"Unfortunately." Oikawa chuckled as Iwaizumi erupted in wild laughter (though still silent because he didn't want to wake the others).

"I can see why you were desperate."

"Iwa-chan! I was not desperate!" Oikawa complained, throwing a pillow his way.

The ace threw it back, and the brunette didn't have to strength to get into a pillow fight.

"She must be one hell of a girl if she managed to put up with your shit for so long and basically make you beg on your knees for attention."

"And this is exactly why I hadn't told you anything." Oikawa pouted, standing up and waking back to his futon as Iwaizumi laughed some more.

"Oh come on, Loveykawa, come back!"

----------------------
MONDAY

Oikawa twiddled with his fingers nervously. He was 20 minutes into his usual bus ride, and he'd lost hope.

She wasn't going to show up.

He didn't know what to do. She'd even answered to his text, promising she'd be careful, and Oikawa had been looking forward to talking to her all day.

But when he'd stepped on the bus, all happy and jolly about the evolution of their relationship, she wasn't sitting at her usual seat against the window.

He'd quickly looked around the bus, desperately looking for her bright green eyes as an uneasy feeling formed in his chest.

Koto-san hadn't seen her, so she'd never even gotten on the bus in the first place.

Oikawa had hoped perhaps she'd catch the bus at a later stop.

But as the engine approached the stop she usually got off at, the setter had come to the morose conclusion she wasn't going to come.

And he didn't know why.