| xiii |

"Ogi-chan!" Oikawa exclaimed, the girl furrowing her eyebrows as she saw the brunette already sitting in the seat.

What is he doing here? His stop isn't for another 10 ones. She thought as she walked towards the waving, grinning boy.

"Oikawa-san. What are you doing here? You usually get on later." She raised her eyebrows at him, not yet taking a seat as she stared down at him.

"I got on the bus at the first stop of the line to make sure I wouldn't miss you." He smiled innocently, but the girl could tell he had some other intentions.

The brunette had even left practice early to pull this stunt. He'd taken the bus in the opposite direction, up to the first station, then had patiently waited for Koto's bus and started doing the journey backwards.

The setter had finally found out she got on the bus at Shirabuya station. As far as he could remember, there weren't any high schools near this station, so where exactly did she go to school?

The girl stared at him some more, her face letting no emotion show though she was deep in thought. He had to have an ulterior motive to pull such a dramatic stunt.

A light bulb turned on in her head as she raised her eyebrows. "Is this because I said you were predictable the other day?" She asked causing Oikawa to pout.

"No, this has nothing to do it." He lied, passing a hand through his hair. "Come on, sit." He patted, still smiling weirdly as the girl cautiously complied.

There was definitely something else going on, there had to be another reason he was so jolly this evening.

"So, what else did you do?" She asked after settling down and sighing, leaning against the bus' window and raising her knees to her chest.

"I am soo glad you asked, Ogi-chan." Oikawa smirked, pointing a finger at her. "You, said I was predictable. And I tell you, I am not. Which is why, I present to you..."

The girl's eyes widened as Oikawa slightly lifted his shirt to reveal a small tattoo of a chess knight.

"You got a tattoo?" She exclaimed loudly, all emotions finally showing on her face. "Why in the word would you get a tattoo?" She asked, face painted with confusion.

"Well, in my opinion, it doesn't get much more unpredictable than that. And look, you're all surprised and confused, so clearly it worked." Oikawa declared in victory, his lips curving upwards as the girl kept staring at the tattoo.

"I thought you wanted to prove you were unpredictable, not completely stupid." She narrowed her eyes at him as the boy loudly cried out.

"You are so mean, Ogi-chan!" He complained as the girl heavily sighed. "Come on, at least admit this was very unpredictable."

The girl glared at him some more. How could he be so dumb yet somewhat endearing?

"Fine, it was indeed unpredictable. Now, please, for the love of god, do not pull any more stunts like this, ok?" She pointed at him threateningly.

"Ok, I won't do something like this anymore." He accepted dully, though his head was screaming Victory! Finally!

"Promise me, Oikawa, I'm serious." She handed out her pinky to him. "Promise me that you're going to stop doing stupid things."

The setter nodded, staring deep into the girl's green eyes and raising his pinky to intertwine it with hers. A shiver ran down both their spines, but neither of them let it show.

"Alright, let's get started then." The girl declared, pulling away her pinky.

--------------------
The next day...

"He's out of his mind, I tell you Fudo, out of his mind!" The girl complained loudly as her best friend stared at her, another mechanics project on his desk.

"I still cannot believe he got a tattoo just to prove you wrong." He chuckled as the girl glared at him.

"That's insane! I just said he was a little predictable, not that he had to do something so... dumb!" She let out in a lament.

"Why does it bother you so much? I mean, it's just a tattoo." Fudo shrugged.

He was slowly leading his best friend in his trap, and she was falling right into it. If he got her to admit she actually cared about the pretty setter, then maybe they'd finally make some progress.

"It's not the tattoo per se, it's the fact he did something so reckless just to prove me wrong!" She explained, her voice still shaken up. "What if he does something actually dangerous and gets himself hurt?"

"I thought you didn't care about him." Fudo pointed out as the girl bit her lip. Shit.

It was classic Fudo to pull a stunt like this one. He knew her so well he was easily capable of manipulating a conversation to get her to admit what he wanted.

There was a small silence as images of the setter flashed through her head. They'd known each other for around a month and a half, and he'd constantly try flirting with her. She didn't feel like that about him but... maybe a small part of her did care.

"It's not because I hate him that I want him to get hurt." She finally admitted with a pout.

Fudo smiled as he placed his glasses on the bridge of his nose and carefully extracted a small piece out of his engine. "There, see? It wasn't that hard."

The girl glared at him. "I still don't know why we're friends."

"I'm the only one who can stand you." The boy nonchalantly replied, earning himself a book on the head.