Ch16: Doomed

What did it mean to belong to Felix?

Was I some kind of slave now?

I needed to process this. More than anything, I needed Alya.

While Felix was in "the zone" with his eyes frozen on his screens, I managed to sneak out of his office without his attention. Once in the safety of the perfumed hallway, I took off darting to my refuge: the women's restroom - it was a very pretty bathroom with dark tiled floors, a full-body mirror by the door, and fancy black stalls. It was one of the high tech "no-touch" places where the sinks, toilets, and paper towel dispensers were motion-sensing.

I pulled the toilet lid down, took my royal seat, and immediately began texting Alya:

EMERGENCY!!! COME TO BATHROOM NEXT TO COFFEE MACHINE. 12TH FLOOR. HURRY!!!! I'M DYING 😖😫😭🤢😵

Alya instantly read the message and began replying as indicated by the text bubbles - something I always called "the bubbles of mystery."

After one minute she replied:

HANG IN THERE GIRL, I'M COMING!

I sighed, feeling a little better. I could always count on Alya to be there for me in a time of need. Actually, anytime at all. She was the bestest best friend anyone could ask for.

I planned on spilling my guts and getting her opinion. She had been in previous relationships and seemed to have more experience when it came to interacting with guys. She was much better at flirting too.

Meanwhile, I'd managed to be single for eighteen years. My first kiss was with that very stupid Chat Noir (although it was a very good first kiss that had left me in a trans for the rest of that night). All that to say, I was not good with guys. Maybe Alya could help me understand the terrible deal I'd just made with Felix.

I heard the bathroom door fly open and collide against the rubber doorstop on the wall. I could tell it was Alya by the way her heels clunked against the ground.

As I eagerly opened the stall door, I was met with a frantic looking Alya. She wore a long-sleeved ivory dress that complimented her curves. Her hair looked as if it had been curled and she wore an unusual amount of makeup.

"What's wrong? Are you sick? Is it the stomach flu?" She said scanning my complexion as if trying to detect any irregularities.

"No, no I'm not sick," I said, shaking my head.

"Then why did you say you were dying?"

"I sold myself," I exclaimed.

Alya looked confused with wide cat eyes and a crooked mouth, "You what?"

"I...I didn't mean to! It just happened so fast and before I could help it, I already agreed!" I said rapidly.

"You're going to have to slow down for me to understand. What do you mean by 'sold yourself?' Did you put yourself for sale on the Black Market or something?" She said, resting her hands on her hips.

"No!" I felt irritated that she jumped to such an extreme conclusion.

All color drained from her face as if she had been hit by a sudden realization.

"Marinette, please tell me you're not talking Felix," she lowered her voice.

"Yes! Felix said I belong to him now!"

"What? Why?"

"Long story short, I told him I loved him and then it sort of turned into-"

"Hold on! Hold on! You what?" She exclaimed, her fingers tugging at her temples as she wore a shocked expression.