Ch30: Unconditional

I was on the verge of having a panic attack as I followed Felix out the bakery door.

Terrible! This entire time with my parents had been awful! I didn't think it was possible to be more embarrassed than I already was. I wondered what Felix was thinking and how he was processing my blunt dad and awkward mom. But his expression was blank and impossible to read (as always).

Felix opened the door to his yellow sports car, gesturing for me to get in. I snapped myself out of my paranoid thoughts and gave him a shy nod, as to say 'thank you.' With much struggle, I lowered myself into the black leather seat,  a cloud of glitter puffing when my bum met its final resting place. The car smelled new and was perfectly clean...well, it was clean before my sparkles infested it.

"Hopefully that crap isn't toxic," Felix muttered, just before carefully closing the door. Yet another reminder that he hated my dress.

Just like that, I was again drowning in my mind, choking on my fears and nerves.

When Felix revved the engine, I felt vibrations trickle through my every organ as my ears rang with a loud 'voom' noise. My muscles tightened - it was uncomfortable to feel my already nauseous stomach churn, threatening to spill its contents. I swallowed hard, refusing to vomit.

Suddenly, classical piano music blared through the speakers, causing me to flinch. Felix quickly reached for the nob and turned it down. But my heart was still racing. What the heck! So that's what he 'jammed' out to alone in his car. The song sounded so familiar, as if I'd heard it once in a movie, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

(The song that was playing)

After my body had adjusted to the constant rumbling of the engine and the shockwave of vibrations it created, I started feeling better physically, but not mentally.

Felix and I sat in silence as he adjusted his mirrors and repositioned his seat. Why wasn't he saying anything? What was he thinking? Maybe he was so weirded out by my family that he no longer wanted to speak to me. Maybe he was already having second thoughts about asking me to the gala as his date. All I knew was that this silence was driving me insane.

"I'm sorry," I said in a low voice, clutching my dress.

Felix merely side-eyed me with curiosity.

"My parents can be so...extra. Well, actually I think weird is a better word. Sometimes my dad just won't shut up. My mom, on the other hand, says too little, but when she does talk it's always..."

"I liked them," Felix said, turning his head as he backed the car out from the curb.

"Why?" The words spilled out of my mouth before I could stop them.

He didn't respond, pulling the car forward as we sped down the street. The force of the movement caused my head to collide with the seat's cushioned head rest.

Despite the rough start, Felix was a very 'safe driver' - always staying within the speed limit and never running any yellow lights. Even though he drove a car literally meant for speed, any person from the outside would mistake him for an old lady. Which I guess was a good thing - most guys his age would be reckless.

My eyes traveled steadily throughout the car's slick interior before landing back on Felix. He kept both hands on the wheel and sat in a perfect posture. Wait. His hand. It looked completely healed from the time he punched a wall. Very good. When I danced with him tonight, I wanted to be able to feel his hands, not bandage. But I was also glad he was better for his own sake as well.