Ch35: Sweet Poison

A good reputation is a glass castle - it takes a lifetime to build, yet only a minute to shatter. Losing everything is too easy.

I'd already accepted the fact that I ended my career at Agreste Inc. There was nowhere else for me to go but down. The room full of glaring eyes would never be able to unsee my savage side. So, I was a monster now - beyond the point of social redemption.

I swallowed hard, the stream of Felix's blood rushing down my throat. I puckered my lips in disgust. The old Marinette would have apologized endlessly for her behavior - but she was finally dead and I was finally free.

"This is why you shouldn't bite, Kitten," Felix said loud enough for our table and surrounding tables to hear. He wrapped his hand in a white napkin as red slowly bled through. Even though it looked painful, I refused to let remorse overtake me.

"I wouldn't have to if you stopped with all the smothering," I said, crossing my arms and legs.

I heard a few gasps from the crowd. I didn't dare peek over at Kagami or Natalie to see their expressions. Perhaps my comment sounded bad out of context. Oh well.

Felix arched his brows in surprise or amusement.

"Careful," He cocked his head with a devious smile, rising from his chair as he towered over me, "You know how much your feisty side gets to me."

Perhaps I imagined it, but I could have sworn his eyes slipped to my lips for the briefest moment. And why did it sound as if he was referencing something that never happened? What did he even mean? Was this another one of his 'performances?'

"What are you even talking about, you two-timing swine?" I exclaimed, rising from my seat to meet him. I hated feeling so short compared to his large frame - it made me feel like the weak one - but I refused to be intimidated.

"Swine? That's your opinion of me? How unfortunate," he said sarcastically, tilting his head to one side.

"It's basically a fact at this point," I seethed, my entire body shaking with fury. It took so much restraint not to slap him or ram myself into that chest of his and knock him over.

He scoffed.

"You're really asking for it aren't you?" Felix smirked. He unwrapped his hand from the bloodied napkin and folded it into a perfect square.

"Felix, take your personal matters outside," Mr. Agreste hissed through a forced smile. He sat in a painfully straight posture, his hands clenched together and his eyes hidden behind glowing orbs of glasses. I couldn't imagine how furious he was with me. He must hate me. There was a time I had a good reputation with Mr. Agreste - but like the fragile thing reputation is, it was destroyed.

"No need," Felix shrugged.

"People are staring," Natalie said, leaning towards Mr. Agreste with a glare, "And why did the music stop?"

Felix suddenly grabbed me by the hand and drew me to his side. Then he pivoted our bodies until we were facing our 'audience' - the sea of faceless people cloaked in the shadows. Somehow it felt as if every inch of the room was dim except for our table.

"My apologies for the interruption, folks," Felix announced, "My girl is needy."

I heard slow chuckles roll in waves across the crowd. Why would they laugh? Was this a joke to them? First, they were disgusted with me and now I was nothing more than a laughing stock. Fickle, fickle people.