Ch24: Blush

It had been another long, miserable Felixless week.

By the time Friday rolled around, I was jittery, hallucinating, and experiencing all the negative side effects that came with insomnia. I even developed a strange eye twitch that occurred every so often. To top it all off, my cycle decided to start, leaving me with stabbing cramps that came in waves.

Five random employees had asked if I was okay today. That's how bad I looked. No amount of concealer or powder could hide my blue circles tracing my eyes.

I didn't have it in me to 'try' with my hair and clothes - so I threw my hair back in a high pony and wore an oversized flowy pink dress. I felt like a walking tent - the dress made me look figureless - but I didn't care. It's not like Felix was here to notice or make fun of me anyway.

The entire morning, I'd been helping a co-worker with some employee forms that all needed to be printed and filed. Unfortunately, the printers on the seventh floor were being utilized by the Accounting department, so I had to use the printers on the eighth floor (which required me to go up and down stairs all day). Just my luck.

Thankfully, the seventh and eighth floors were connected by a fancy winding staircase - so I didn't have to use the creepy stairwell and risk running into Lila again.

The stairs were made with a material that resembled blocks of ice, lined with a glass railing. It looked like something Elsa from Arendelle would design (if she had to make a staircase for a company).

There were small gaps between the steps, giving me the ability to see the floor - aka the ability to imagine how far of a fall it would be should an earthquake hit.

Just as I was about halfway down the stairs with a hand full of printed forms, I noticed a flash of blond passing underneath me

Just as I was about halfway down the stairs with a hand full of printed forms, I noticed a flash of blond passing underneath me. Felix? Was I hallucinating again?

An overwhelming sense of urgency, excitement, and wild butterflies coursed through my blood. If I didn't make my presence known right now, he would disappear forever (or at least that's what my loopy brain told me).

"Felix!" I called, standing mid-way on the staircase, glancing through one of the gaps.

I was aware that I was also drawing the attention of other employees below. I had everyone's attention within a twenty-foot radius. But I didn't care. Not right now at least.

Felix paused right in the gap's view. He looked unusually sharp in his slim-fit button-up shirt. All black - what a hot look on him. His hands were stuffed in his pockets as a leather briefcase hung over his shoulder.

We made perfect eye contact as he stared directly upward from underneath me - those celestial blue eyes were clearer than usual and his hair appeared so silky in the nearby window's lighting. For once, he didn't look tired.

His expression seemed unamused. Knowing him, he was probably irritated that I was making a scene just to get his attention. But in my defense, I was borderline "sleep-tipsy" (yes, that was a real thing).