Ch55: Chill Pill

If I could choose one bodily function to live without, right now it would be breathing.

I never thought about breathing and how frequently I did it, until the very act was intolerable. The air was a mix of powdered concrete and dusty debris. I could feel the debris and frigid air sear my lungs and airways. I tried to hold my breath or breathe into my sweater, but that would only lead to a desperate gasp where I'd inhale even more toxic air all at once.

Luka helped me off the steep third floor plate form as we entered the maze of crushed building. Slabs of a roof here and shattered windows and fallen walls there. What could have caused this time of devastation? The building looked as if it was a victim of an earth quake. But Paris rarely had earth quakes. Unless, this was Natalie's doing. If so, that must mean Felix was on his way.

"What happened?" I said in between coughs.

"Not sure. The building quaked a few times and next thing I knew it was coming down."

"Do you think anyone survived?" I asked.

"Not sure. Hopefully."

Luka held my hands as I leaped over a narrow chasm created by a cracked floor - I didn't even want to know what was in those depths should I somehow slip and fall. When I made it to the other side, I tumbled into Luka's arms. I wondered if he noticed my quivering. Then again, I could feel his muscles shaking as well - that made me feel less embarrassed. Our trauma and terror was shared - Luka was just doing a better job of hiding it.

"You're okay," He muttered in my ear, as he tightened his hold, "But we need to get out of here."

"What about the others?" I asked with chattering teeth.

"We can worry about them later," he said, "I've already contacted the police."

"But what if there's someone whose trapped? Someone we can save?" I said, trying to worm out of his hands. His fingers dug into my arms.

"You're not Ladybug anymore," he said firmly, "And you're very weak. So as it stands - we must leave."

I disagreed. True, I didn't have my Miraculous, but that didn't mean I wasn't Ladybug. I may be weak and feeble as a normal human being, but I still had a hero's heart. With my determination, I'd find any remaining survivors and carry them to safety. And Luka could help me too.

"I can still carry a small child," I protested.

My arm smacked across his neck - the shock of my movement caused him to release me. I took the opportunity to push past him and begin my search for trapped children.

My efforts were interrupted by flesh slithering my waist and hoisting me in the air. I was flipped to my stomach like a fish on a fryer. Luka was carrying me over shoulder. Kind of like Felix. Accept Luka's hold was much weaker and his position left him open to injury. I decided against hurting him. Maybe he was right. Maybe I should let the police and fire department do their job. Maybe I was too weak to help. It was a depressing realization.

So, Luka carried me and my broken spirit out of the maze and to safety. On the outside, the building looked like it caved in the center - the disease slowly spreading to the edges. Thankfully, Luka's apartment was was near the end - the section of the building that had somewhat collapsed but was still partially standing. I felt awful for everyone else who wasn't so lucky as us. It was so disbursing to think they were peacefully sleeping in their beds before being swallowed by the ruthless earth. It all felt so unreal.

Sirens grew louder in the distance until we were surrounded by police cars and a fire truck. Red and blue flashing lights painted the dull rubble with a strobe effect. It made me feel like I was witnessing a crime scene - then again, perhaps I was. Was this truly a natural event or was this caused by Natalie? If so, how could she do something so evil? I thought she was at least a relatively good person with somewhat of a heart. Apparently I was wrong.