Ch67: Sleepless

Marinette's POV

͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

"Finally Paris can sleep peacefully tonight knowing that Hawk Moth is behind bars and powerless," The news anchor woman said on Dad's oversized TV in the living room.

Mom, Dad, and I huddled on the couch, watching - along with all of Paris - the shocking (not so shocking for me) news.

The news anchor swallowed hard before continuing her monologue:

"It turns out world famous fashion designer and CEO, Gabriel Agreste is Hawk  Moth. He designed the clothes we wear and acted as an icon in Paris. For many, he offered employment opportunities, promising a better future. Yet, despite all this - he had a dark secret. Paris' beloved hero and icon was also its greatest enemy and source of fear."

"Holy Macaroons!" Dad exclaimed, leaning his hairy arms on his knees, "I can't believe what I'm hearing!"

"Hush Tom! I'm trying to listen," Mom said, sending a loose hand into his chest. Dad quieted.

I sunk back, wondering what this meant for Felix - or Adrien as this world knew him. What about Natalie? Would they suspect her too?

The report continued with vague information and interviews with political spokesmen - it was nothing new, just the typical, "We are so surprised and never saw this coming. What would drive a high-profile celebrity to a life of crime? What could he have to gain? What has he lost?"

Love.

Or rather, obsession.

That was the thing I never understood about love. If Mr. Agreste truly loved his wife, he should have let her go and moved on. Leave what's lost behind. Instead, he let it consume him. And that was not love, or at least in the way I understood the concept.

The screen flashed with an image of Agreste Inc - that tall, boxy building that rose high into the sky, decorated with endless windows. Mom and Dad sent a frantic glance at me.

"That's where you work," Mom gasped.

I nodded.

I felt sad seeing the building all taped up as if someone had been murdered there. Police agents stormed around the front of the building like ants circling food. Others burst from the doors carrying boxes. The place I worked now looked like a military camp. And today was technically my last day since I decided to quit. I think it was safe to say that today work would be cancelled for a long time.

"Adrien!" Dad gasped, rising to his feet and pointing at the screen, "That's Adrien!"

Just the sound of his name jolted me from my jumbled thoughts.

There he was.

My poor blonde boy was sliced between two police officers, as they clasped onto either side of his arms. They forced him forward and straight towards a police car.

Wait! No! What were they doing? Felix was innocent.

"Why are they taking Adrien? What was he even doing there? He told me he works a humble job in retail," Dad said.

"Adrien is the son of Gabriel Agreste, Dad!" I said in frustration. I didn't mean to sound angry or talk disrespectfully to Dad, but my surprise at seeing Felix being treated as a criminal put an edge to my mood.

"I can't believe it!" Dad said, sending a palm into his forehead, "This whole time."

The camera zoomed in on Felix's face. Shadows lined his eyes and even though he was free from the Eel's taunting, I had a feeling sleepless nights would follow him for a long while.