Ch9: Finality

Felix didn't even flinch at the fire alarm's noise and flashing lights. His face showed no sign of concern or urgency. Instead he sighed in frustration as his fingers dug into his temples.

"What's going on?" I yelled.

"There's an Akuma in the building. Either that, or someone has already been akumatized," he didn't even bother raising his voice.

"What do we do?"

He shrugged, "Just wait it out."

"Really?" I stood from my seat, pacing back and forth, "shouldn't we do something though?"

"That's Ladybug's job according to everyone in this company. So, all we do is stay put."

How could he keep working in the middle of an Akuma attack? The flashing lights above created a strobe effect that was making me feel dizzy. Wasn't he feeling sick too?

"If you want to go to one of those stupid safety bunkers, be my guest."

The screams grew louder. Obviously, something bad was happening and Felix was giving me the perfect excuse to leave. But if I did, would he suspect anything of me? I felt so torn. My feet were bolted to the ground but my brain was telling me to run as fast I could to transform.

"I think I will!"

"Be careful," he said, glancing up at me for only a moment.

I charged down the empty hallways, looking for the nearest bathroom. But I remembered...all the security cameras. Surely my identity would be blown if the camera caught Marinette going into the bathroom and Ladybug coming out.

Just then, a loud crashing noise rattled the building, sending vibrations through the walls, the floor, and my body. I screamed in surprise as I flared my arms to stabilize myself.

Out of nowhere, a silver energy beam tore through the walls of the hallway and headed straight towards me. I ducked, watching it shoot a hole that opened the building to the outside. Daylight flooded in. What was happening? This beam seemed to destroy anything in its path.

The building structure rattled and quaked, tossing me from side to side. No doubt other beams were destroying the building's core. If this continued, the entire building would collapse and kill everyone.

Another beam burst through the wall and shot into Felix's office. The sound of shattered glass and crunching metal filled my ears. My stomach clenched.

I rushed to his door, only to find that the ceiling over his office had caved in. The smell of debris choked me as I maneuvered my body into the tiny pockets of space.

"Felix!" I screamed, "Felix! Are you okay?"

No response.

My heart sunk when I reached his desk. A piece of the ceiling had completely crushed where he was sitting.

There was no doubt in my mind. Felix was dead. Worst of all, there was no way for me to find the body. I attempted to dig through the rubble, but I couldn't find anything.

Tears streamed. My Ladybug Miraculous could fix anything that was broken - buildings and bodies. All things could be restored, except for lost life. Once the soul left the body, there was no way my Miraculous could bring it back. There was a finality to death that was irreversible.

I heard the building rumble again, causing debris to shower me. I needed to find the akumatized victum and stop them from shooting these beams. Then I could restore as much as I possible.

But I couldn't bring Felix back. That thought paralyzed me. It sent me into complete and utter despair. I wormed my trembling body back through the mangled maze, attempting to see through my blurred vision.