Chapter 9

After finishing up my conversation with my parents and taking some time for myself, I walked downstairs to join everyone else and see how they'd reacted to the news.

I knew there'd be mixed reactions and I wasn't sure what to expect.

As I walked down the stairs, I could see Lucas, Ryan, Leanne and Hailey all sat together in the living room and I couldn't lie and say that I was okay.

From today, all of our lives were going to change completely and I wasn't sure if I was ready for that.

"I think it's awesome." I heard Ryan laugh, as I walked around the couch to take a seat beside Lucas.

My face must have looked abysmal, but I think everyone was too busy to notice anyway.

"Awesome? Our parent's are killers and you think it's awesome?" Lucas said, furrowing his brows at his brother.

He crossed his arms in a frustrated manner, making his biceps flex unintentionally and causing me to readjust my sitting position.

"Well yeah, but I bet they're so cool, fighting all the bad guys off like spies and stuff." Ryan chuckled, making Lucas roll his eyes.

"I just can't really believe it." Leanne said, ignoring Ryan's comment. "But I'm also kind of surprised that I didn't guess earlier, I mean just look at Momma Tris..."

"It's just so weird to think about. Our parents have been hiding it from us our whole lives. They're basically criminals for a living, what are we supposed to do with that information?" Hailey said after getting off the phone with her parents.

"Well we aren't going to tell anyone." Ryan said, pointing at her.

"Well duh." She said, slapping his finger away.

"Even if we did, I'm pretty sure they've corrupted the police so it's not like anything would happen." Lucas said

Just as I opened my mouth to speak, Carter and Jamie came into the room and interrupted me.

"I've had an idea." Carter said, taking a seat across from me.

"Well that's never good." Leanne said, sitting up straight to listen.

"Look, hear me out." He began. "I know that I said that I was against all of this, but I've changed my mind. I think that I should join them." he said, looking around at all of us seriously.

"Are you kidding? You want to join the mafia?" Hailey spoke up.

"What? You just made a huge scene getting mad at mom and dad because of all this and now you want to join them? You can't do that!" I shouted, standing up and becoming more overwhelmed at this situation by the second.

"I know what I said, but I was only against them because they put you in that dangerous situation, Sky. After what you said about my fighting, I actually think it'd be a good idea. Plus, it means that all of us would have a better idea of what's going on on the inside." he shrugged.

"In what world would that be a good idea Carter?" I yelled at him, not caring that I was beginning to cause a scene.

"I'm a good fighter, okay Skylar? It's the one thing that I'm really good at and now I have somewhere I could use it." he snapped back at me, taking me a little by surprise.

"So you're just giving up on college? On football? On your future? Just to join the mafia. Surely we should be where this family business ends." I said.

"I don't know Sky. I think it could be good for me." he shrugged simply.

Suddenly, I felt my throat begin to tighten and my eyes begin to tear up as I stood staring at my older brother in front of me.