Chapter 34

Skylar's POV

As my friends and I danced, I spotted Lucas walking towards us and slight panic ran through my body.

Hailey looked at me with a smirk, obviously knowing what I was thinking.

"Sky, I need to talk to you." Lucas said suddenly, as we stood right in the centre of the dancefloor.

"I'll leave you guys to it." Hailey said, sniggering to herself as she made her way back to the table.

"Can we do this later?" I asked, attempting to walk past him.

"Why are you acting so weirdly around me today?" he said.

"Please just leave it. I don't want to talk about that right now." I said, attempting to avoid this conversation in any way possible.

"Well I do." he said.

Suddenly, he grabbed me by the arm and pulled me to the other side of the hall, dragging me into a small room away from the rest of the party.

It was practically a broom closet.

The lights were dim and we could only hear the music from the wedding faintly in the background as we were stuck in this small closet alone.

My heart was beating out of my chest and Lucas was staring down at me intensely.

"What's going on Sky? Talk to me."

"Nothing's going on. I don't know what you're talking about." I lied, looking at the ground.

"I know when you're lying." he said, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear and tilting my head up to look at him.

"Please leave it Lucas. I'm fine." I said in a hushed tone.

"Well, if you won't talk, then I will...I just broke it off with Daisy."

"What?" I said, my eyes widening at his revelation. "Why would you do that? She's perfect for you! She's really nice and she clearly cares about you and-"

"Because I'm in love with you."

I couldn't believe my ears when he cut me off with those words. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me or that I was about to wake up from a dream. I thought I'd misheard him at first, but looking at his face I don't think I had.

He looked almost nervous, and the tension could have been cut with a knife. We were standing close to one another and I couldn't take my eyes off of his, even if I'd wanted to.

"W-what?" I stammered.

"I love you. I love the way you bake cookies every time you're sad and the way you force me to make 'pinky promises'. I love how you can read a whole book in a day and how excited you get when doing the smallest things. I love how you put up with having a house full of boys and willingly play football with us in the backyard, no matter how aggressive we can get...Sky, I've been in love with you for my whole life, and I know that there's never going to be anyone else in this world that is capable of making me feel the way that you do. It will only ever be you...and I've wanted to tell you this for the longest time, but I knew that you didn't feel the same and I'm sorry for being so blunt about it but-"

As he rambled, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My heart was practically ready to leap out of my chest and I just couldn't stop myself from leaning up to kiss him.

I reached up and grabbed his face, slamming his lips onto mine and cutting him off mid-sentence.

It took him a second to react, but once he did, he quickly slipped his hands around my waist, pulling me close to him and melting into the kiss.