Chapter XLVII

That afternoon, the York brothers and Charlotte had nothing else better to do

That afternoon, the York brothers and Charlotte had nothing else better to do. They stood in the courtyard together with their children.

Initially, the brothers had been teaching them the basics of a bow & arrow, but Charlotte had decided to leave with William and Caitlin, leaving the brothers and her elder offspring to act like children.

Lily laughed as she claimed onto Richard's back, her brother doing the same to George and unsheating his wooden sword.

"It seems I'll have you all!" Edward jokingly exclaimed, moving toward his brothers.

"Have at it!" George shouted back as he ran forward.

Father and son's blades collided with each other and soon enough, all three of them lost their balance, plopping down on the floor. George was the first to fall, Edmund falling on top of him and somehow pulling his father down with him. The moment the three of them saw Lily and Richard laughing at them, they went for their revenge, tripping Richard, with George catching Lily before her body hit the stone floor directly.

From a window on the second floor, Elizabeth watched on, jealous.

Charlotte got to keep her children with her at court. She had a bond with all of the York brothers. No matter what happened, that never changed. George and Richard doted on her children even when she wasn't there, so they didn't do it simply for the sake of appearances. Charlotte wasn't just their brother's mistress to Richard and George, she was like family to them. They clearly preferred her over Elizabeth, that was for sure.

"It's summer," Jaquetta spoke up, snapping Elizabeth out of her thoughts. "A time for mindless pleasure."

"Precious little is mindless where George is concerned," Elizabeth snapped as she continued to look out the window, causing Jaquetta to turn to face her daughter. "George will have nothing, nothing at all, to do with my son."

"Does George intend to harm the boy?"

"I don't know," Elizabeth sighed as she walked over to her mother. "Perhaps it's nothing more than the pain of being made to part with my son."

"When you married into the royal house, their customs became yours," Jaquetta reminded Elizabeth as she poured her a glass of wine.

Once taking the glass of wine from her mother's grasp, Elizabeth began to pace the room, trying to block out the loud laughter coming from all three York brothers and Edmund and Lily outside.

"You understand that as surely as Edward does," Jaquetta continued on.

"I don't know what he understands!" Elizabeth complained in a frustrated tone. "I only know the closer he gets to his brothers, the further gets from me. Truly, mother...we are distant."

"Not entirely distant, I think," Jacquetta smirked, a knowing look on her eyes.

"Mother, how? How did you know?"