Chapter LVII

Westminster Palace1477

Westminster Palace
1477

It took a little engineering on the parts of Aimee and Marie, but in the end, Charlotte's first meeting with Cardinal Della Rovere took place in her children's nursery. "My Lady?"

Charlotte turned from where she was watching Nora and Arthur sleep. When she saw who was at the door, she dropped like a stone into a curtsy. "Your Eminence."

The man waved away the deference and crossed the room to stand beside her, peering down at the sleeping twins.

"Beautiful children, Madonna," he murmured after a few moments.

"Thank you, Your Eminence."

"A pity what is happening, but depending on my deliberation, it could mean the world for your children, could it not?"

Charlotte's jaw set as she fought to keep her voice cool. "Yes," she said at last. "A great pity. But at least, whatever Your Eminence's ruling, it won't affect the twins. They're too young to ever remember things being any different, as is little Nan. It will be the older children who are affected, no matter the deliberation."

"Indeed, Madonna. Let us praise the Lord for that mercy, hmm? At least the younger children will remain blissfully unaware."

Nodding, Charlotte leaned down to brush a fingertip along her daughter's cheek, biting the inside of her cheek as she struggled to work out how to phrase the next question. "Their Majesties welcomed you to Dover, did they not?"

"They did. We had a pleasant dinner before riding back to London."

"I'm glad to hear that," Charlotte murmured. "I'm sorry I could not be there, I was with my sister, helping her prepare for her childbed."

There was an awkward pause. Giuliano glanced over at the younger woman, sensing what she did not say with a skill born of years of practice.

"I spent two days with Their Majesties at Dover Castle, it is true. But we did not discuss the case. I forbade any discussion of it, for I did not think it fair to give any indication of how I might proceed when I do not yet know myself. Have no fear, I will hear the arguments put to me by both counsels before I decide upon this most weighty matter. I give you my solemn word on that, My Lady."

"Thank you, Your Eminence."

The fervency of Charlotte's whispered response belied how relieved she was. Giuliano couldn't help but reach for her hand. "Do not fear the Church. Trust it. The Holy Father has heard your plea and sent me here to ensure justice is done. We will not willfully hurt you or slander you. I swear it."

"I do not worry for myself," Charlotte said, playing the part of the woman in love, the selfless mother in over her head perfectly. "I worry for my children and what this process can do to them. I never wanted this. Even if this can clear my name in the eyes of the public, the Lord knows the truth and to me, that has always been what mattered."