Chapter XLI

TW: rape, abuse

Angers Cathedral, Angers, France

In her chambers, the handmaidens Margaret had given her had assisted Charlotte in getting ready for her wedding.

After stripping her, a white gown was placed on her, causing the maids to look uneasy. "Are you sure, my lady--" one of them had asked, knowing it wasn't wise for someone like her to wear white to her wedding.

Not only was it the color of the Yorkists, but it was used for virgin brides and by now, most knew of Charlotte's children.

The dress was pure white, making her hair appear darker and her lips redder. At least, Edouard would not be displeased with how she looked.

"Are you ready, my lady?" One of the handmaidens asked and Charlotte simply nodded, not saying a single world.

Just moments later, Charlotte entered the cathedral. She looked ahead, spotting her future 'husband' waiting for her.

She down the aisle alone since her father was not present and once she reached Edouard, he held out his hand to her. Instead of taking it, she rudely walked past him, which was noticed by everyone. He looked annoyed, but immediately began to walk alongside her, toward the archbishop.

The archbishop waited for them, his prayer book open and a smile on his face as they walked toward him.

The moment they reached him, he grabbed Charlotte's hand, placing it in Edouard's hands.

"I, Charlotte, take thee, E..." She trailed off nervously, forcing herself not to think of Edward. She began to choke on her words as tears began to form in her eyes.

Slowly, Charlotte looked up at Edouard, who tried to contain his anger due to the humiliation she was causing him in front of all of the royal court in exile.

As they continued to hold hands, he dug his nails into the palm of her hand, causing her to bite her lip in order to not cry out.

She sighed in defeat, turning her attention to Edouard once more. She took a large deep breath, just before beginning her marital vows. "I, Charlotte, take thee, Edouard of Lancaster to be my lawfully wedded husband."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

A small smirk formed on Edouard's lips as he found his new wife sitting on the edge of their bed, wearing a sheer nightgown. "Tell me, have you been thinking of me?"

"I've thought of little else, your grace," Charlotte said in a soft voice, averting her eyes. She had to fix her blunder from hours before. If she wanted this to work, she had to mold him into her creature. She had to mold him so she and her family would be safe, no matter what happened.