Chapter L

Farleigh Hungerford Castle, Somerset1473

1473

Charlotte held her sister's hand tightly. "Push, Izzy," she whispered. "You are doing so well."

"If you say push one more time, I just might just slap you," Isabel muttered through gritted teeth. She squeezed her sister's hand as she experienced another contraction.

"You are almost done," Charlotte assured her sister, stroking her knotted hair. "And it will be worth it."

Finally the contractions stopped and Isabel could fall back onto the bed, closing her eyes as she heard the familiar slap and cry. She waited patiently for the midwife to cut the umbilical cord and clean the baby up.

"Your Grace has given birth to a healthy girl," the midwife decreed.

Isabel propped herself up and extended her arms, wordlessly commanding the woman to place her daughter in her arms. She didn't bother looking at her ladies' faces, keeping her eyes on the only person who mattered.

If everyone expected her to be disappointed that she had a daughter instead of a son then that was their folly. She would welcome any living child after the ordeal outside of Calais.

"Someone go make the announcement and then give the order that the bells are to be rung," Isabel demanded as she studied the newborn babe wrapped up in a blanket.

"Your Grace, I don't think the Duke —" the daughter of the Earl of Northumberland began.

"My husband will want all of England to celebrate the birth of a new member of the royal family: our daughter," Isabel cut her off curtly, her head snapping upwards to glare at her lady-in-waiting for daring to contradict her.

A few minutes passed before George entered his wife's bedchambers, dismissing her ladies so he could have a moment alone with her and their daughter.

"She is beautiful," George murmured. "May I hold her?"

Isabel gave him a funny look. "Well she is your daughter, my lord, I would think that alone would give you permission to hold her."

"Forgive me but she is so tiny, I'm afraid I might drop her," George admitted, chuckling as he sat down next to her. His wife smiled at him before maneuvering their daughter so she could comfortable fit in her father's arms.

"Don't forget to support her head," Isabel commanded him softly, recalling her sister's words when she had first held Lily.

"I am. Don't worry, I've got her," George agreed, smiling down at their daughter before looking back at his wife. "I...I wanted to apologize. I know that I said I would prefer a boy but I shouldn't have put such pressure on you. We're both young and it was silly of me to assume that we needed a son right away."