Chapter XLIII

Cerne Abbey, Weymouth

The minute her father's man arrived, Charlotte was filled with dread. As if to reassure herself, she placed one of her hands on the swell that had begun to form. As Margaret and Edward talked to her father's man, she felt herself become more impatient and upset by the minute.

"What of my Father? What of Lord Warwick?" Anne finally blurted out, seemingly having the same misgivings Charlotte had.

The messenger turned to look at them with a sympathetic expression on his face but Charlotte did not register this. For the few moments it took for the man to start to speak, the only thing she registered was the sound of her heart beating furiously against her chest, the babe squirming in her womb as if he could feel the discomfort of his mother.

"I'm sorry, Princess Charlotte, Lady Anne. He died a heroic death. He refused to leave his men when they were being surrounded," he explained, waiting for their reaction. "He led the men into battle and gave an encouraging speech beforehand, telling the men he would not abandon them, slaughtering his own mount to prove his point."

Although he had spoken slowly and clearly, the words didn't seem to register for Charlotte. She did register, however, her legs giving out and falling to her knees as an anguished cry left her lips and tears flowed down her face.

The idea of her father being dead was something she didn't want to think about. His parenting had deteriorated in the previous years, but a part of her was still the little girl that saw her father as a knight from all the stories. In the eyes of that little girl, Richard Neville was unbeatable.

In the eyes of that little girl, none could defeat him.

Except now, someone had.

Margaret and her son watched as the sisters struggled to take in the news. Anne was being much more dignified in taking them in, but tears were escaping her eyes and leaving a trail in her cheeks.

"No, he can't be. No," Charlotte's voice was muffled as tears clogged her throat.

Edouard couldn't help but feel something snap inside him as he watched his wife try to speak. As much as he felt something different about Charlotte, there was something about seeing her like this which made him feel uncomfortable. She was a Princess now, she needed to act like one.

"Of course he's dead. He'd be here, otherwise." Edouard snapped harshly.

Margaret, throughout this exchange, seemed to put a hand on her son's shoulder in a somewhat calming gesture. Anne noticed Edouard relaxing against his mother's touch as she helped her sister up to her feet and wrapped her arm around her comfortingly.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Circenster, Gloucestershire