Chapter XXXVIII

Charlotte sat by Edmund's bed and wiped the boy's damp curls from his face

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Charlotte sat by Edmund's bed and wiped the boy's damp curls from his face. The fever had finally broken and he was resting now.

"Lily! Edmund!" Edward's shout came from the door as it swung open. "Papa's back."

The six-year old boy wrinkled his nose and squirmed uncomfortably. Charlotte smoothed the lines from his brow and pressed a kiss there as well. She stood and glared at Edward.

"I believe we should speak outside, for Edmund has only barely managed to sleep."

Edmund looked at her in confusion before glancing at his son and seeing the now warmed water bowl and cloth.

Charlotte went outside, to the nursery's outer chambers and Edward followed behind her. She turned onto the king when the door closed. "And where have you been all day?"

"I was out hunting."

"And did you not receive the message we sent to you?"

"It could not have been so important," he took a step towards her and she took a step back.

"Our son could have died today. His fever was so high," her voice cracked and she hated herself for it, for showing weakness when she had to be strong. "We had to send Lily, William and Elizabeth's girls to the other side of the palace for their health. His fever just broke," Charlotte kept her voice low for the sake of the sleeping boy behind the door. "Our boy was asking for you, but our message was apparently unimportant in comparison to yet another affair with some whore."

Edward frowned, his eyes becoming steely. "Don't you dare assume my feelings for my son."

Charlotte stepped forwards. "I shall assume all I like when you have set him aside for your own pleasure. He is a person who can not be picked up and cast aside only when it is convenient for you. Our children are human beings, Edward, not toys for your entertainment. I thank God that Edmund is well and sleeping, but know you could have come back to a corpse and would have never had the chance to say goodbye." Charlotte's lips curled into a snarl. "Think on that."

"Damnit, Charlotte," Edward swore, his eyes darkening. "I know our children are not toys, what do you take me for?"

"An irresponsible man-child," she said immediately, not giving him time to answer. "Don't even deny it. I call you out for traumatizing my sister and what you do for four weeks is avoid me. I can count on one hand the amount of times you've seen our children since then, Edward. Truly, I don't know whether to be disappointed or mad."

"How about regretful?" He countered. "You've been avoiding me as well. Don't think I haven't noticed. All you've done is gone out of your way to avoid us having a conversation."

She flushed and kept quiet, leaning against the wall behind her. There was a level of truth to his words. They'd both been acting like children in the past month. Instead of fixing their issues, they were hoping they would just disappear.