Chapter XXV

Pontefract Castle, West Yorkshire20 April 1464

20 April 1464

It had been hours and hours. Hours since Charlotte had first screamed two days prior and Doctor Hatteclyffe was called for. He had immediately confirmed that she was in labor. The midwives took over then. The screams had not stopped since.

To help ease his mind, his brothers and Anne had dragged him away to his own chambers, quite a distance from the birthing rooms and handed him a goblet of wine. It had helped initially, but as the hours passed into days and Charlotte still had not given birth, Edward became increasingly worried. He had not been there when Lily was born, but surely it had not taken this long. He would not think so, not from the way Anne tried to hide her frowns and sobs from him, the way she blanched when anyone came with news, before releasing a relieved sigh.

His agitation made his temper shorter than usual, and everyone was quite afraid to approach him currently. While he was able to avoid the screams by distance he also knew nothing of what was going on, and it almost drove him mad. Isabel had been put in charge of informing the King the happenings of the chamber every half an hour but the reply had always been the same, no child yet.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

In the birthing rooms, Charlotte felt very tired. This had been a much more difficult birth than Lily. From Mistress Granger's face, Charlotte could feel the concern. Something was wrong.

"Milady, a few more pushes. I can see the head," the midwife urged the tired countess. Charlotte gave another grunt as she tried pushing, but really it was a weak effort. She was just too tired. "Another push, the head is almost out." Charlotte tried again, "Last one," she encouraged.

Charlotte screamed, giving the last of her strength into the push. She heard the excited gasp of the midwife and then a loud and clear wail of an infant. Isabel rushed to her side and took her hand in hers, with tears in her eyes she informed in awe to her sister, "It is a boy, Lottie, you have done it. You have a son."

Charlotte tried to smile at her sister. This was what she had wanted all along. It was a perfect moment, but she was just so tired, too tired to truly enjoy the moment. Her son's wails were loud and strong, and already Charlotte could hear her ladies' excited whispers of how pretty the infant was and how healthy he seemed. Charlotte wanted to hold her son, but she didn't even have the strength to keep her eyes open. The dull pain from the after effect of the birth was so much stronger this time. She hadn't remembered it hurting this much before. But then again, this was a much longer birth than Lily's. Charlotte looked at her sister grinning face, and whispered, "Edward." Her voice sounded a lot weaker than Charlotte had ever heard it.

Isabel seemed to understand what Charlotte wanted, "I sent one of the maids to tell him. I did not want to leave you. He will be here shortly; I'm sure, just as soon as we change your bed and make you comfortable again."

Charlotte wanted to nod, but the dull pain turned sharp for a brief moment and she gasped at the sudden change. Then blackness claimed her, the last thing she saw was her sister's smiling face melt into one of concern as the midwife screamed orders in panic. Yes, something was definitely wrong.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"I have a son?" Edward asked the maid, but it wasn't really a question.

George clapped his brother on the back, "Congratulations."

No, George wasn't happy that Charlotte had given birth to a son, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't genuinely happy for his brother. Even if this new baby displaced him as the heir, he was happy for both Charlotte and Edward.

"I have an heir," it seemed Edward was still in awe. He had always referred to the infant as his son, but in truth, a part of him had always thought that it may be a stillborn or another daughter. Charlotte had guessed this one to be a boy as well, but she had been mistaken with Lily and she'd been much weaker this pregnancy.

George, on the other hand, wanted to point out that technically Edward had an heir since he came to throne, but knew better than to ruin the moment. "Let us go see Charlotte, Mistress Alice, and our son," his smile was wide as he quickened his pace to the birthing chamber.

Under normal conditions, by the time the King arrived at the Queen's chambers, her ladies should have already changed the sheets and made her warm and comfortable again, but that was not what the King arrived to see.  Yet, Charlotte was not the queen in title, so it was only normal that things would not go according to tradition. He would have let it slide, if it had not been for why.

When he had stepped foot into the chambers, he had expected to see an orderly chamber with the ladies all curtseying with a big smile; however, no one even noticed he entered. Everyone was rushing about in panic as he heard orders from both Mistress Granger and Doctor Hatteclyffe being shouted out and carried out. More sheets were fetched, and more warm water was brought. As the King tried to step into the inner chambers to see what was going on, one of the maids stopped him, "Your Majesty should not go in there."

"Why?" Edward felt puzzled but his attention had been captured by the bundle in her arms.

She seemed to have realized what he wanted immediately, and handed the infant Prince to the King, "Lady Charlotte has born a healthy son for Your Majesty," she told him, but if Edward had even paid her voice any attention or even looked at the her face, he would have realized that there was no joy, she had been sad and somber when she informed him. Edward was Edward of course, so he didn't notice.

Instead he held his son gently and stared at him in admiration and awe. The infant Prince had already fallen asleep, but Edward saw strong breaths. He was a heavy child and it was no wonder Charlotte had struggled so much o bring him into the world. His cheeks were rosy and his skin warm. His features were like his own, but he had Charlotte's dark, almost black hair. He was undeniably a beautiful baby, and would be a very handsome man in the future. How could he not, looking at his parents, Edward mused to himself. His son was perfect. He was a perfect Prince of Wales, and future King. He smiled widely at the sleeping infant.

"You Majesty?" Dr. Hatteclyffe's voice broke Edward out of his awed stupor.

The King looked up from his son to see the regretful look on his physician's face. Edward felt his heart skip a beat and then speed up instantly, "What is it?" His son was safe and healthy in his arms, so that left only one thing possible. Charlotte.

"The Lady Charlotte suffered a major bleeding during the birth. While she was birthing the child, there was nothing that could be done to stop it. After the afterbirth arrived, we stopped the bleeding, but even so, I fear we might have been too late. She is too weak. I...I am sorry. She is not conscious but your Majesty still has a little time to say goodbye to her in any case." His words were quiet and gentle, almost soothing, but nevertheless, King Edward IV felt his world crash around him.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

So...that concludes Act I. I'll take a small break to update soleil and finish editing and writing Act II.
I'll be back before the end of the month, I promise.