Chapter XXXVII

"What is the meaning of this?" Edward demanded angrily, after having burst into her bedchamber, unannounced, waving a piece of parchment in the air

"Of what?" Charlotte asked, as if she did not know, as if she'd not been up at the crack of dawn to place that very same piece of parchment in the center of his desk.

Edward was fuming, his skin had turned flushed and he was biting his bottom lip with a fierce intensity.

"You left this in my desk where anyone could have found it," Edward gritted out, running a hand through his hair, almost pulling on it.

"I knew you would be the first to get to your solar this morning," Charlotte frowned, feigning ignorance. "After all, you have taken a stronger interest in ruling these days."

"Do not play those games with me. You knew very well what you were doing."

"Tell me, Your Grace," Charlotte spat. "Did you notify me before you took a fancy to a Lancastrian widow? Did you tell me that you were going to take that woman to wife as I was recovering from birthing you our second child, a legitimate son, which nearly killed me?"

"That is not the topic of discussion! I have apologized, I can do little more. One day, one day it will all come out. Once my throne is secure and the realm is stable." Edward sounded defeated, as he often did when she brought the topic of his betrayals up.

"Nearly ten years have passed since you first looked my way," she said, her words low.

"She is my queen," his eyes burned into her as he spoke.

"By your doing," she snarled this time. "Who treats my sisters as if they were scum, even if Isabel is now her kin by marriage and Anne is a girl, innocent of our father's misdeeds."

"Why did you have to do this, Charlotte? Was it to scorn me, to show me your anger?"

"Not everything is about you, Edward, believe it or not."

"None of my words will ever be enough for you, so why must you keep incessantly bringing it up?" He demanded, his smooth voice loud enough for anyone down the hall to hear.

"Because even though you have such beautiful green eyes, you still do not see!" Her chest was heaving and she was breathing hard. Charlotte saw something change in his eyes and it frightened her, but she continued. "Your pretty words will not excuse what you did —" suddenly she was pinned against the wall, with a fuming Edward in front of her. She almost wished to spit in his face, to retaliate and show him that she would never bend. Instead, she gasped and felt his lips on hers.

A strange idea grew within her.

His kiss was bruising, full of unexpressed rage and fervent drive. Their teeth clashed but it mattered not, it made her feel. She felt him bite her lip, almost painfully but it turned sweet with pleasure as he ran his tongue along it, soothingly. Edward's hands were elsewhere, underneath the silk of her robe, running his hands along her body.