Chapter LXXVI

Days later, Edmund was standing in front of his wife's dead body when Caitlin entered

Days later, Edmund was standing in front of his wife's dead body when Caitlin entered. She slowly walked over to Edmund, who was trying not to cry. "Edmund?"

"She wasn't supposed to die. Not now. Not yet. Maybe it was a broken heart because of me," he said softly, a regretful look on his face.

"Edmund, you mustn't blame yourself," Caitlin argued, tears beginning to form in her eyes as she shook her head.

"They are saying I killed her so I could marry Bess. They are saying I poisoned her," he continued on, much to Caitlin's disbelief.

"What?" Caitlin asked quietly, shocked by the revelation.

"The Irish lords are all for joining Tudor. As his ships are loading in Harfleur, bringing an army against me," he explained, tears streaming down his face as he looked down at Megan.

"We will get through this, Edmund," she assured him, a determined look on her face, "I know it."

"How!" He shouted as he whipped himself around her, but Caitlin didn't even flinch. "How could we possibly get through this? We are losing!"

"Do you realize who you're talking to, Edmund? Do you even realize who we are?" Caitlin asked in a confident tone. She stepped forward, grabbing the sides of his face. "Our mother is Charlotte Neville, daughter to the Kingmaker. Our grandfather was at one point, the unofficial lord of all the North and he was one of the best battle commanders England has ever seen. Our mother is his firstborn, the son he never had, his heir. Your father managed to end the Cousins' War for more than ten years. He was a great commander and an even better fighter. Their blood runs through your veins. Our grandfather raised Uncle Richard, he knows how to win a war. I am the last of the line of Henry V, some of the men of Lancaster will fight for us, I'm sure of it. If anyone is going to fix this and get those men back, it's us. We can do this, if we stand together."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Kathryn is precious.

Kathryn is precious with her red hair and blue eyes like Megan. So much like Megan. She is young and small, and takes to following him around the castle and out into the yards, hanging onto his large hand with her tinier one, ordering him to tell her stories. He finds he can't refuse her, not when she is not yet four and has already lost her mother.

His daughter is enamored with tales of knights and maids and queens and kings, of what the songs are about. Not in the same way as his own sisters. She lives for the beauty.

He cannot give her the splendor of a foreign Court in the continent. He cannot promise her an empire or a king as a husband. He can only give her what he can.

Her tiny fingers carefully pull back the cloth covering the gift.

"What is it?" She asks, eyes wide and face so open.