Chapter Ten

Buffalo New York
Di Amoré's Estate

Walking inside the greenhouse, Chiara inhaled a deep breath. Each one of the roses has a different scent - and this was a deliberate choice. But as they all combine together, they made a highly fragrant floral perfume.

The roses were simply a riot of color in the early morning, the rays of the sun penetrating through the glass structure of her building made the petals of the roses glow.

This time, Her yellow roses seemed to just stand out more than others. Other times it was the red ones, during last night, the blue rose had been more prominent to the eyes. Chiara concluded that it was probably the sunlight playing off the petals and leaves of the plants at different times of the day.

She could feel her muscles growing lax as she walked across the greenhouse to check the thermometer monitor if the room temperature was agreeable before getting comfortable on the rattan hammock swing chair under the shade of the variety of climbing roses that formed an arch. The hammock was big enough if she ever decided to sleep, and the arch was like a cave of flowers that protected her from the bite of the sun during the afternoons.

This was her favorite place in the entire estate.
The seat cushion was perfectly comforting, if the sight of the roses was not relaxing enough. Furthermore, the pink petals of roses that had fallen on her seat was always giving her a magical feeling.

Chiara closed her eyes and enjoyed the slight swinging of the hammock as she pushed her feet against the ground.

"Something told me I would find you here."

She heard a familiar voice, His voice has a husky drawl that made her stomach flutter. A smile immediately reached her face before she opened her eyes.

"Lucian." She spoke him name and was yet again struck with how he looked. He sauntered towards her, every step he took was like in slow motion.

Under the moonlight he looked so much as a warrior. But in the daylight, his features were more pronounced. He stood before her like a Roman God. He skin was tanned. He had prominent cheekbones and a well-defined chin and nose. He had a strong physic, his muscles pushing against his black dress shirt.

Chiara had fought not to get too lost with her mooning thoughts.

"I thought you already left. I didn't see you at the breakfast table."

"Ah, so you were looking for me." He quipped.

"No." Chiara was flustered, then she laughed softly "Are you teasing me?"

At that moment Chiara learned that Lucian
rarely smiled with his lips, but it was his eyes that shimmered instead.

"I suppose I was. Regardless, I came looking for you too, didn't I?"

Chiara nibbled at the inside of her cheek as she scooted over and patted the space next to her.

Her heart started beating wilder as he sat and their shoulders touched. She cast her head down and noticed how much longer his legs were compared to hers.

"I don't see your bodyguard anywhere." He spoke, his eyes searching every corner alertly.

"Oh Cassius? He'll be here after checking in with soldiers' morning routine."

"You should be able to lock the door from the inside as well. I noticed once you get in here the door stays open for anyone to enter.This is your safe place, it concerns me how this could be easily breeched." Lucian broached the topic which he noticed last night.

"Do you know much about security systems?" Chiara asked. She just knew that Lucian wasn't thinking about the roses, it was her safety he was on about. Afterall, she was learning that men sees her as a potential gain of more power. She was a very valuable chess piece.