Chapter Eleven

Buffalo New York
Di Amoré's Estate

...

Chiara had soon realized that everyone weren't quite as agreeable as Thomas Russo. A polite smile and a more polite greeting would not put her in a good position with the Mafiosi.

"I have no use for niceties young lady, Although I  am looking forward to see the establishment of your name into our society." The Donatello Don had said his sleazy eyes cutting through her.

"Of course, sir." Chara pursed her lips.

"Paulo, I hope you consider my offer."

Chiara glanced at her grandfather as he gave a curt nod.

"What was his offer?" Chiara asked her grandfather as they retreated inside the manor.

"Power, what else, dolcezza mia ?"

Chiara found she forgot what she was going to say when she saw Mikael standing at the foyer. She stopped in her tracks while Paulo had continued walking as if he had seen nothing.

"Papa." She spoke. She hated how childlike she sounded, how her yearning for her father's familiarity and love still burned inside of her after all the years of his absence.

Mikael opened his arms and she dutifully went to greet him in a hug. He reeked in alcohol.

"Ah, Principessa." He let out a breath as he caressed the back of her head.

It wasn't a secret to Chiara how she came to be.
Her grandfather had a talk with her when she was eleven. There were no secrets left at the past.

"You are a princess. You have the Di Amoré's blood run in your veins. Do not doubt that no matter the circumstances." Paulo had assured her as he wiped her tears away and she believed that.

"I missed you." Chiara whispered to her father as they parted.

Chiara wondered what he saw as her father gazed at her face. Did he see a whore's daughter or did she remind him of his dead wife? She definitely didn't resemble him that much except for the hair color.

"How long are you staying?" She asked when her grandfather's booming voice suddenly sounded in the hall.

Chiara looked back from where the voice originated. She thought her grandfather had gone to his office but he stood await.

"Come in my office." Paulo said in a hard tone.

"I will see you later." Mikael told her in a hushed tone as he exited the foyer.

....

"Never listen to your father." Paulo said first thing as soon as they got inside his office.

"Don't you trust him, grandpa?" Chiara asked. Complete taken aback by the order.

"Fidarsi è bene, non fidarsi è meglio." To trust is good, not to trust is better.

"But papa is family." Chiara argued. She never argued with him before, there was never a reason too.

"Sit down." Paulo faced her squarely and pointed at the sofa.

Chiara let out a shaky breath, but did as she was told.

"You love your padre, I understand. But Mikael sees no limit to what he would expect you to do for him."

Chiara realized this was her first warning against her own father and by her own Grandfather.

"What do I tell him when he ask things off me?"

Paulo sat, his conniving eyes setting on the untouched chess set on the coffee table in front of them.