Chapter 11: Tea Shop

Over the next couple of days, Jessica paid extra attention to her interactions with the duke but could see no proof of any romantic interest from the older man. He treated her with the same polite chivalry he always had. Which made the letter he'd sent to Jacob all the more peculiar. If he was considering offering for her, surely there would be some indication of warmer feelings?

Conversing with the duke one morning over breakfast, she tried to look at him objectively. He was still a handsome man at his age; an older, slightly more serious-looking Jacob. It wasn't as if he wouldn't be able to attract a younger wife if he so chose. She just wasn't the one. If he ever proposed marriage, she could never accept. Being married to the father of the man you'd always been attracted to was wrong on every level.

With a sigh, she stared into the eggs and kippers on her plate. It had been easy enough to convince herself she wasn't interested in Jacob when he was safely off in London and she in the country. It was another thing altogether when they lived under the same roof and there was no escaping him. She had to fight odd urges of wanting to run her fingers through his hair when it was ruffled or straightening his cravat when it was askew. Or throwing herself at him and begging him to kiss her again.

"What's the matter, Jessica?" Olivia asked from the other side of the table. "Did you not sleep well?"

"Oh, I... No, I fear I did not."

"Why don't you come with me today? I'm having tea with some of my friends in Bridlewood."

"You know, I would love to." It might be nice to get away from the duke for a day, and from Jacob's probing looks. He was always paying attention, as if he was ready to jump in if his father showed any sign of proposing. Being under that sort of scrutiny was tiresome. Even if he didn't suspect the extent of her feelings towards him, he could not be unaware of her attraction to him—not after two kisses—and she wanted to make sure he never found out exactly how deep her feelings ran.

"Wonderful!" Olivia exclaimed. "They will be happy to see you."

Jessica came to regret her decision later, as all the girls in the tea shop spoke of was Jacob. Fortunately, Olivia seemed as bored with the subject as she was, and tried to change the topic, but to no avail. She should have known better than to join, as she had little patience for teenage girls. These probably weren't even the worst of the lot. Compared to some they were quite pleasant, but their blind admiration of Jacob was quite tedious. There was Miss Burton, the daughter of Squire Burton, and two daughters of wealthy merchants living in Bridlewood, Miss Young and Miss Loverly.

"I've heard he is quite the rake," Miss Young was saying, her grey eyes shining as if it was a very exciting fact.

"We all know that," Miss Burton said dismissively. "But have you heard about the scandal he was involved in some years ago?"

"No?" Miss Young gave the other girl a surprised look. "He was in a scandal?"

Suddenly interested, Jessica straightened in her chair. The scandal in Jacob's past was something she'd always been curious about, but had never found out any details about. Did this girl actually know?

"I found it out from one of Father's guests," Miss Burton said and leaned in a little closer as if she was about to impart a great secret. "Apparently, he ruined some girl when he was younger, and then refused to marry her."

"No!" Miss Loverly gasped. "He did not!"

"He sure did," Miss Burton said. "The poor girl had to be married off to some old geezer, the only one who would have her when she was ruined."

Olivia frowned, apparently not happy to hear her cousin painted so black. "That doesn't sound like Jacob," she stated clearly, taking the others aback. "He can be a scoundrel, that's for sure. But I don't think he would ruin a girl and not marry her."