Chapter 29: A Ball at Ashbrook House

Jacob had always known Mrs Grey was an excellent planner, but he hadn't quite realised how extraordinary she really was. When he'd agreed to hold a ball at his house in a fortnight, he hadn't thought for a moment that anyone could actually accomplish the feat of planning an event in such a short time. Obviously, he had not taken Mrs Grey's incomparable skills into account. Walking through the crowded ballroom, he couldn't quite believe it.

The event was a success and practically everyone invited had shown up. Most likely they were all curious to see one of London's most notorious rakes leg-shackled. Some were probably there to see just what kind of woman could have lured him to the altar. They wouldn't be disappointed. Jessica was absolutely radiant that evening. Dressed in a blue dress the same colour as her eyes, her blonde hair looked like rays of sunshine arranged beautifully on the top of her head. Cornflower-blue beads had been threaded into her hair; or possibly gems or crystals. He couldn't tell the difference.

Throughout the evening she was never alone. Whenever his eyes strayed to her, a group of men fawned and it bothered him more than he liked. A handful of women had approached him throughout the evening, this being his first social event since returning to London. The only place he'd visited was his club. Not subtly, they tried to gauge whether he might still visit them now that he was married. It didn't take them long to realise he was not in a talkative mood and quickly left him alone.

Nearly everyone seemed to avoid him that evening. Most of the men had already offered their congratulations—or condolences—at the club, so except for a few latecomers they had left him pretty much undisturbed, which was probably for the better. Even the Howerty clan seemed to sense his foul mood and stayed away more than usual, and Pensington still avoided him somewhat, anyway. While they could have a conversation, their relationship was still a little strained. He'd done his duty and danced with his wife, and even the other women in his new family, except of course for young Nick who was not allowed to attend. Rain had turned out to be quite the success, even if she wasn't officially out yet. He suspected she would be a favourite of the next season.

She might even be more popular than Jessica, who as a married woman was still eliciting a lot of gentlemen admirers. Couldn't they bloody well look for a single lady? There were plenty in attendance. Why did they have to hover around his wife?

"She's really quite something."

He turned his head to find Gowthorpe standing next to him.

"I'd forgotten how bloody popular she was in town," he admitted with an irritated glance towards the bevy of suitors surrounding her.

"Yes, they always did flock around her," Gowthorpe agreed with a smile. It was quite obvious he enjoyed seeing him in such a foul mood.

"Well, she's married now," he said tersely.

Gowthorpe chuckled. "That only means a different kind of men show their interest now. You should know that."

His friend winked, and Jacob knew he spoke the truth. Having been the kind of man who slept with other men's wives, he knew exactly how many women cuckolded their husbands. Taking a better look at the people surrounding Jessica, he recognised several of them as rakes and bounders and he didn't like it. What if she sought her gratification elsewhere? She sure didn't want any from him. Maybe the man she claimed to love was one of those dolts hanging around her.

This was driving him mad. It wasn't as if he cared. Right? He hadn't wanted a wife to begin with, so why would it bother him if she spent her nights in another man's bed. But it did bother him. More than he wanted to admit. And bloody hell, there was Ravenscroft standing next to her, making her laugh at something he'd just said. That was it. Without thinking, he strode across the floor to where his wife stood with her admirers and elbowed his way between them until he reached her.